Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Install SMD LED DRL

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
Hi guys,

I'm planning to install a pair of SMD LED DRL's (driving lights) to my VT Clubby controlled by a in cabin switch.

I've searched the forum and alot of the instructions on installing DRL's mention a relay? What is a relay and why do i need it?

This is how i plan to wire it. Can you guys let me know if there's anything wrong with my setup?

1. Join positive wires from the pair of drls together.
2. Connect the positive wires from step 1. to power source (cigarette lighter?).
3. Connect wire from step 2. to positive terminal/pin on switch.
4. Repeat steps 1 & 3 for the negative wires from the DRL's.
5. Connect wire from third pin (the left over pin on the switch) from the switch to ground. I'm assuming this step is for the on/off light on the switch?

Wouldn't this configuration allow me to switch on/off my DRL's as I please?

So please let me know if i have this correctly set up? It's been years since I've done any work on cars so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks champs!

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
The simple answer is, maybe. Assuming something doesn't short out, cables don't melt, switch doesn't fuse open (or closed). The way you've listed doesn't include a fuse or a relay, both of which are used for the safe working of electrics in cars. I'd suggest researching some basics on car electrical wiring before going ahead with this. I'm not trying to be a PITA, just letting you know that you'll need some more background knowledge before attempting this. In short, a relay protects the switch and associated wiring from the larger current required by electrical components installed in cars. And the fuse protects the whole lot from turning your pride and joy into your smoke and tears.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
sniff sniff what's that burning smell... minimum put a fuse in.. holders are like 10 bucks

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Have you considered re-purposing the wiring and switch/relay/fuse from the fog lamps?

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeh i definitely need to include a fuse. I haven't done any electrical work in 10+ years and it's all a blur now.

mpower: I want the DRL's working independently to the fogs lights.

I've ended up buying a $15 DRL relay wiring kit of ebay to make life simpler....and safer.