Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a higher level BCM

benanna88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais, VF SS-V Redline
Other members who have fitted six stackers from Calais or Berlina's, which both have the same head unit, have found that the standard power aerial does not work. The wiring for the automatic aerial is different between the base and luxury models. You can't just stick the six stacker in and expect the aerial to work, and that includes from the controls on the head unit. You will have to rewire and maybe even replace the aerial with the upper level unit.

I don't have the head unit yet, so I didn't know that the aerial didn't work at all. I've heard in other threads that the BCM still plays a part in the aerial control because it remembers what height it was at last.

i was unaware the six stacker had ipod connectivity?

No the head unit doesn't have iPod connectivity, but there is a kit available so that you can control an iPod from the head unit, and display song info on the screen. Here's a link about it: holden (udcaus)

taztassio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S L67
the aerial itself is different, wiring is different, bcm different.

same with steering control illumination, wipers, fuel level calibration, climate control.

sell your car and get a calais, its soo much work its not funny

benanna88

Reaction score
Members Ride
sell your car and get a calais

I was thinking just that earlier today, maybe I should...

Anyway I was hoping that this would be a simple thing to change, but it sounds like it's not, so I won't worry about it. Thanks everyone for your help.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Its not that easy and you cant just plug in as there are many differences

1 the computer is linked to the bcm so the car wont start untill its liked via holden or some one else with the comupter and software

2 the keys are different so you will need to get the keys to sute the new bcm or have yours recoded to sute the new bcm, if that can be done i do remember some talk of it not being able to be done but i dont know if is true or not(i would think not tho)

3 the high level bcm has climate so you wold have to change your car to climate control, which i would like to do but its alot of work and i cant have the car off the road that long.

4 the wiring loom is different so you would have to remove it and fit a new loom, you could cut and add what you need but it would just be better to change the loom

benanna88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its not that easy and you cant just plug in as there are many differences

1 the computer is linked to the bcm so the car wont start untill its liked via holden or some one else with the comupter and software

2 the keys are different so you will need to get the keys to sute the new bcm or have yours recoded to sute the new bcm, if that can be done i do remember some talk of it not being able to be done but i dont know if is true or not(i would think not tho)

3 the high level bcm has climate so you wold have to change your car to climate control, which i would like to do but its alot of work and i cant have the car off the road that long.

4 the wiring loom is different so you would have to remove it and fit a new loom, you could cut and add what you need but it would just be better to change the loom

Ok thanks for that, you've answered my question, so obviously I won't be trying to change it now.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There's no doubt that, if you want the luxury items in your car, it's much cheaper to just buy a Berlina or Calais, rather than try to upgrade an Exec or other base model.

The price differential between VY bottom and top of the line models these days isn't great. I bought a Berlina and probably should have looked for a Calais, instead of spending a lot of brass to make the Berlina look like a Calais, but them's the breaks/.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
There's no doubt that, if you want the luxury items in your car, it's much cheaper to just buy a Berlina or Calais, rather than try to upgrade an Exec or other base model.

The price differential between VY bottom and top of the line models these days isn't great. I bought a Berlina and probably should have looked for a Calais, instead of spending a lot of brass to make the Berlina look like a Calais, but them's the breaks/.

This is true but some people like the look of the 's' over the berlina or calais, so you could buy one with all the parts you want but then spend a nother 2 to 3k on a body kit.

benanna88

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is true but some people like the look of the 's' over the berlina or calais, so you could buy one with all the parts you want but then spend a nother 2 to 3k on a body kit.

Yep, that's exactly why I went for the S, but of course I didn't think about the fact that I would want all the extra features later.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

It would probably still be cheaper to buy a Calais, then fit the S body parts and sell off the Calais bits. I'll bet the S bumpers and lights would only cost a fraction of the Calais equivalents, and the Calais parts would get good money.

And you would have a pretty unique car, too.