Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a new head unit

Spudda

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Ute
Hi guys.

Just wondering what I would be looking at price wise to install a new head unit for a Vy ute. I have found a unit I am interested in, all I want from it is the ability to not only play iPod music, but also to charge it. Obviously it needs both aux in and usb inputs. I have found one that costs around $150 and am fine with that.

However, I wanted to know how much an installation and the surrounding cover to fill the hole left by the original head unit would cost.

Also, are there different covers depending on what brand and size of aftermarket head unit I install. Do they range in prices, where do I get them from, and what are they called exactly, I'm sure they're not just called 'surrounding covers' hahaha.

Cheers guys.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
The "surrounding covers" also known as Facia's, you can get a cheap AERPRO brand one for $30, or the good AERPRO branded one for $55 (fits really well, just needs a bit of a whack to get in!)

Depending on the head unit you got, what you get is from autobarn (same as above) get a cable which will say "TO VY Commodore" which will have a loom which goes from your stock slot into a ISO slot. Then you get the "TO -whatever brand). So like you get the Vy to ISO, then you find the one which is ISO > Sony/Pioneer etc. These are $20 each.

You also need an aerial adapter which is like $10 which you can get there aswell just ask them for it.

so total you're looking at $100. INSTALL IT YOURSELF! Depending on the headunit the facia might be a bitch to work out (I had to take the surrounding mounting cage that came with it off because it wouldn't fit into the facia).

It's really simple, you unplug from behind the stock stacker, and unplug it from the back corner (You'll see when you take it out where it plugs in).

One thing you'll realise is that the facia wont fit. This is because there's a metal cradle in there you gotta take you (it'll be a bit hard, to push in the top and bottom with flat heads, then the sides and yank it out)

Then you plug in the Holden VY to ISO, then you connect the other adapter you got to it, which then plugs straight into your head unit. You then plug in the aerial adapter, put it back in and wallah all done.

IF it doesn't remember the radio stations and settings, change the yellow and red wire around (they unclip, no cutting wires needed).

If you need any help just ask me, I did mine like a month ago.

H Bomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
Yeah you can do it yourself easily, I am useless with this sort of stuff but I bought the $55 dollar fascia kit to convert to single din, got a real nice sony headunit with all the features and clipped the wires in easy, and then if you wanna sell it its a 5 sec job to get it back to factory spec. You will lose your steering wheel controls obviously. I found all the information on various threads on here including how to remove your factory unit.

Spudda

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Ute
If all you want is to use and charge your ipod why not just mod the stock unit?
Keep the factory look and have the ipod control. Did this in my old ss and it worked very well.

Because thats more of a risk than im willing to take hahha, not too keen on soldering and what not. Unless there is an easier way?