Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing Flashlube on a VY V6?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Despite the large amounts of water and vapour lpg combustion creates ? I cant see how they would succesfully run petrol and lpg together, it would run like a dog, and if it was only a small amount, it would vapourise doing crap all. To be able to mix and have either fuel run at certain revs is amazing and would cough and splatter like a dog. There is no way possible to keep them seperate in the combustion chamber or lines when changing over. Cheap6, i thought most lpg systems ran piggyback systems ? How does 1 computer know when different fuels have been changed over ?

Well, that's what they do, whether you think it will work or not. Apparently it's enough to protect the valves.

It's load based, not rpm based and you can add a surprising amount of petrol without causing a rich miss over the stoichiometric LPG. I have on my car a Silicon Chip Nitrous Fuel Controller wired to pulse the petrol injectors, used to assist with starting on LPG. (It was cheaper than an LPG MemCal.) At 13% duty cycle (because that's where it works best) it doesn't cause a miss or stumble if I press the switch while driving.

There is an extra wired added to the PCM to switch between the two maps.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
what are the symptoms of excessive valve wear? can that ticking sound be caused by this?

lack of engine power, lost engine compression, until the engine stops

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Well, that's what they do, whether you think it will work or not. Apparently it's enough to protect the valves.

It's load based, not rpm based and you can add a surprising amount of petrol without causing a rich miss over the stoichiometric LPG. I have on my car a Silicon Chip Nitrous Fuel Controller wired to pulse the petrol injectors, used to assist with starting on LPG. (It was cheaper than an LPG MemCal.) At 13% duty cycle (because that's where it works best) it doesn't cause a miss or stumble if I press the switch while driving.

There is an extra wired added to the PCM to switch between the two maps.

interesting and good set up. Something to look into.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
yeh but what about the ticking sound?

well if the valve seat is being warn down the valve will start moving further into the head, thus making the clearance between valve and rocker smaller which the hydraulic adjuster will take up,

so im guessing it will probably not make much noise

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
interesting and good set up. Something to look into.

Assuming you are referring to the fuel controller rather than the factory PCM set up:

It can work on a VP (or VN) and would on a VR, because in those cars there are only two injector drivers (the VN/VP ones are wired together in parallel). That means that I only had to fit two 5 pin relays in the injector earth wires to allow the the fuel controller to be wired in. A VS- with sequential injection and 6 injector drivers would require 6 relays to do it the same way; possible but getting complicated.

The amount of fuel added is also constant, where an amount proportional to engine load would be required for valve cooling (I have it for starting only - I don't do much sustained high speed driving). I think that a factory memcal would be easier and more elegant where possible.

Re. noise: worn valve guides can sometimes be noisy.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Sorry to dig, but just got more questions.

Is flashlube worth its hassle?

and is it better to install it at the throttle body or intake manifold?

have your read the whole thread? the best we can get is flashlube cant do any harm so best to use it?.....might as well put on a polariser as well.....

BambooWheels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo
With engines built for unleaded fuels, valve seat damage becomes an issue related to excessive heat. A small amount - as distinct from the total fuel requirement - of petrol is sprayed through the injectors to cool the valves when required.

I'm really sorry for digging up an absolutely ancient thread on this forum, but this is the only mention I can find of this method *anywhere* on the English speaking internet!

Do you know what the name of this technique is called?

I was looking at an aftermarket gas conversion for a car and was emailing a mechanic and I mentioned flash lube, he said two of the systems he sold could "use petrol when needed" and I only needed the flash lube on the more expensive prins system because it didn't support this.

For love nor money can I find anything on the internet about how effective this method is, or even detailing it. I've been searching for two days...