Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing head unit in vy

lok

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
hey guys installing a new head unit into a vy and just after any tips or advice
cheers guys

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
About 10 threads down is a guy asking the same question ;)

You'll need the removal tools to remove the unit...but it can be done with a pair of coathanger wires bent into 2 "u" shapes, just put them in the holes and push them outwards while pulling the unit out....if that makes any sense lol.

Either buy an ISO wiring harness for the VY or wire the unit up manually...the wiring diagram is on the top of the stock unit.

You'll also be needing a VY facia kit, available from most car audio stores etc.
The kit will just "pop" into place, do this once youve got your wiring sorted then use the cradle the aftermarket unit came with to mount the head-unit (i think this is how its done or do you use the mounting holes in the facia kit...damn it cant remember now)

lok

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
are the iso connectors universal? or do u need ones specifically for vy's? cos the the guy at the shop sold me universal ones

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
If its a universal one for the VY, this means you'll have to join the wires from your aftermarket unit the the ISO connector.

These ISO adaptors come in a number of models, one has the specific plug for the vehicle on one end and on the other end has bare wires so you can just join your wires to it. The other type has two plugs, one for the specific vehicle and the other plug for a specific headunit, so all you have to do is plug one end into the cars wiring harness and the other into you aftermarket headunit.

zackilby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2 Commodore
Do you have to take the dash apart? or once the stock head unit is out it just slides in? also what about wiring a sub? the rem and output cables? cheers.

Danielzke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commy
No you just have to take the headunit out mate. Once thats out, the new facia kit goes in with the new headunit.

For a sub, you'll need a REM and a RCA cable. Both these cables are ran from the amp to the headunit and plugged in.

Danielzke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commy
Oh yeah lol

I forgot about that, i paid someone to remove my headunit cause one of the clips were broken

I never got it back then