Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing towbar wiring harness

Tylersdad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Hi, newbie here,

I've looked and can't find any installation instructions (if you know where can you pls point me in the right direction).

I have purchased a wiring harness so i can tow trailers etc, and wish to install it.
It plugs in to the wiring loom so that part should be straight forward. Or have i purchased a harness not designed for a VY? Thats ok i suppose as i can just use the usual old school connectors to join the wires. I have found other threads on towbar harness's but they did not have a plug-in connector, nor installation instructions.

Can anyone advise the correct/easiest procedure to get to the wiring loom in the rear.
i don't want to start removing parts that are not needed to be undone.

Many thanks

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
it should be connected into the harness on the drivers side of the boot under the carpet ner the taillight. do a search there are a 35 threads that contain the word trailer and the answer is there for you to find.

AUSFITTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS series 2
Like maginoodle said mate, it is on the drivers side under the carpet in the boot. Mine was on that side, but was in the little "hole" i guess you could say on that side on the floor.

Tylersdad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
cheers.
i presume i can pull the carpet back then. no need to unscrew the plastic boot lip.

and the wiring feeds up somehow through the floorplan (a rubber grommet?),

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Before you go drilling holes (or looking for holes that don't exist), the genuine Holden towbar wiring kit comprises a plug in connector that simply fits into the existing tail-light wiring on the driver's side, and a heavy duty flat wiring loom about a metre long, that remains in the boot when not being used, then just drapes over the boot opening when needed. It's a durable and good quality item that takes five minutes to fit and needs no drilling. I don't know what it costs as it was already fitted to my car when I bought it, but it's much better than fitting a permanent external bracket and connector.

And regarding access to the wiring, yes, you need to pull away the side cover to gain access to the tail-light wiring, but that is very easy too. The boot lip trim doesn't have to be disturbed as far as I can recall.

AUSFITTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS series 2
Calaber if you are reffering to my comment about the hole, i am reffering to the recess like what there would be on the other side where the jack goes. If there is meant to be a cover or something there, then maybe i just dont have one, but there is definately a recess there

cno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II Berlina
pm me your phone number and i will mms you a pic. I also have a spare if you need it. 10 bucks for postage and a beer and its yours

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Calaber if you are reffering to my comment about the hole, i am reffering to the recess like what there would be on the other side where the jack goes. If there is meant to be a cover or something there, then maybe i just dont have one, but there is definately a recess there

Hi Ausfitter

No, I wasn't referring to your post - there was mention of feeding the wiring through a grommet in Tylersdad's post.

I'm a bit lost with your description. My VY boot floor has the jack recess on the passengers side, with a hard plastic cover to level the floor off, but the floor is flat on the driver's side - there is definitely no recess on that side.

As I mentioned above, if using the genuine trailer harness, there is no need for any recess to allow access to the outside of the car because the harness is designed to sit inside the car on the boot floor when not being used. It's long enough to stow away to one side or run across the back of the boot floor.

Topher2880

Reaction score
Website
theozegroup.com
Members Ride
VY SS MkII
Just a quicky... Im wondering if theres a permanent power thread there.

I have an amateur radio and I want to put the guts in the boot, but with it TXing 45 watts, need something that wont melt wires.

I know the 12 pin sockets have a 'battery supply' (orange??) pin..

Would save me running wires from the battery under everything up to the boot

Cheers

Tylersdad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Thanks for your help.
looks like the intention of Holden is to leave it curled in the boot.
I have however seen other VYs with it permantly wired. there must be a way to route it to the exterior - maybe via the bumper.
i'll give it a go this weekend. if no luck i'll leave it curled up. i won't be drilling thats for sure.

my next query is why has the harness (now arrived in the post) got a blue wire not attached to any connector ? it has just been cut. all the rest of the wires are joined to the connectors.