Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance for under 25

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I want to vent some frustration.

I'm having some serious troubles finding someone that is willing to insure me.

Now, I'm 22 and have been driving for years now, I don't consider myself as a fantastic driver, but I'm responsible. I've never caused an accident, never had an accident, never lodged a claim.

I've been paying 800 or so per year on my old car - which was insured through Suncorp, when we went in originally to insure this car, the only option she could find on the screen was a VL TURBO MANUAL, we assured her that it wasn't. But she put it as that anyway, which in turn changed insurance value to 8,000 dollars. And my yearly costs to around 800 dollars.

I rang recently to see what they can do with my latest car, under 25-turbo car, instant flagging we can't help you:b:

I've tried and tried, and I'm running out of avenues. Can anybody help me out, because there is no way I'm *not* insuring this car in full comp- Don't really care about the excess- it only has to last another 3 years and I'm off to something cheaper anyway.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Edit, and may I add you can talk to these people for 20 minutes discussing things, and as soon as you mention turbo and under 25 they turn into disgusting rude bitches straight away.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Hmm, can you get a parent to insure it with you as a nominated driver? It's hhow i got my turbo RX2 insured.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I asked about that with Suncorp, because I think thats how the previous one may have been done- parent with me nominated as the sole driver. And they still weren't interested. She basically hung up on me.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Just Cars will insure turbos etc at a reasonable cost. Just run through the policy very carefully and make sure you are happy with the insured value, mine was a bit low so in the end I went to SGIC who were happy to insure me, but AFAIK are SA only (oddly enough noone else in the insurance group would touch me).

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah, whats the f*cking go with that?! do we all magically become some sort of awesome driver when we hit 25 that they'll insure you then?...whats the diff?!...if you've good a good record and arent some newbie p plater i cant see what the big deal is. (as you can tell, im having insurance issues as well)

LindasBT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5ltr + bt1 pack
Yeah i know the feeling:ranting: .I'm 23 and ended up paying just over 2000 (nrma) a year for my car car cause its a v8. ive had pravious cars insured through them and i think thats the only reason they looked at me.

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
It's the idiots out there that give young drivers a bad rap and insurance companies naturally charge young drivers more because a lot of these idiots not only damage their own cars but other peoples cars as well, meaning the insurance company forks out money (something which they don't like doing of course)

Just on the topic of insurance did anyone see the guy on ACA tonight who had his Skyline stolen (if it's worth $50000 why wouldn't he have insured it)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
sircruisealotVS said:
yeah, whats the f*cking go with that?! do we all magically become some sort of awesome driver when we hit 25 that they'll insure you then?...whats the diff?!...if you've good a good record and arent some newbie p plater i cant see what the big deal is. (as you can tell, im having insurance issues as well)

Its simply because under 25 you are at an extremely high risk of having an accident according to their claims etc etc etc. Those stats don't lie, it is why its done.

The same is happening for old people as we speak, premiums sneaking up as they get older and older.

Henerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL 5spd
Suncorp? what's that?

time to switch.

Just Car, RACV (RACQ, RAC whatever it's called in your state), AAMI, Budget Direct, Alliance.

I'm pretty sure they'll insure you, at a price.

If not, get your oldies to insure the car and don't include yourself in the contract.
Anyone can legally drive it, you just have to pay more excess if you crash.