Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

insurance refund

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So if people get quotes online, they shouldn't complain they get emails constantly from those insurance companies they have chosen to not go with.

I got an over the phone quote to insure my VC through shannons a few years back...Yes I provided my phone number during the conversation....To this day, I have received 1 in writing quote through the post and one text message seeing if I wanted to take up their offer, which I haven't....

I also rang another insurance company the same day...I can't remember which one, but they haven't contacted me in any way shape or form from that day....So maybe I have been fortunate...

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
So if people get quotes online, they shouldn't complain they get emails constantly from those insurance companies they have chosen to not go with.
I don't understand why people are giving out their email addresses. This dam forum has reminded me that my insurance is due at the start of next month. Browsed 8 insurance companies and got 7 quotes between now and my last post on this thread. 1x (Famous) wanted all of my details so I gave up on them. About 4-5 asked for an email but it was optional to provide. The rest did not ask at all.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I don't understand why people are giving out their email addresses. This dam forum has reminded me that my insurance is due at the start of next month. Browsed 8 insurance companies and got 7 quotes between now and my last post on this thread. 1x (Famous) wanted all of my details so I gave up on them. About 4-5 asked for an email but it was optional to provide. The rest did not ask at all.

No idea....

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
There are some insurers, the insurance equivalents of Jetstar, which have a business-model of avoiding any sort of customer contact so as to keep the number of employees to a minimum.
Kinda gots to wonder what the claims process would be like as a customer, for anything slightly unusual, dealing with compu’ah says no.

I had one of my cars with Real when they first kicked off . The premiums were very low, and then added to based on how many Kms driven. The policy was easy to obtain over the phone prompt, and their PDS was simple to read and understand. Seemed great.
First years renewal was OK, but the next year was big hike and agreed value big drop. Trying to contact them by phone to get an explanation and review was near impossible.
The new policy phone staff kept fobbing me off to a phone number that wouldn't answer, and the experience made me wonder how hard it would be to make a claim. I didn't renew with them.

I do both at the same time to see if theres a difference. I caught the RACV out this time last year when my renewal was due. Guy on the phone was like $50 more and was quite annoyed when I gave him the online quote number after his spiel.

Companies have caught onto that, and explain that online quotes are cheaper because you don't involve a real person, plus there is the 'new customer sucker' incentive of a % discount for the first new policy.
I don't know about other States CTP insurance, but in NSW, an online CTP quote also asks details about whether your car is comprehensively insured, or 3rd party property, or not insured, who it is with and how long you have had the policy. The CTP premium can vary depending on what box you tick. Just a little hidden little gem discovered when my daughter dropped the comprehensive on her shopping trolley buzz box to 3rd party some time ago.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I do both (online and via phone) and usually provide fictitious names and email addresses in most cases, only having my street and/or suburb factual. That way I get an idea of policy price within the market.

Once I have a good idea of policy pricing within the market will I ring the preferred insurer and provide real details while demanding they compete and beat the best price I’ve found. Usually save a little more $ that way but it’s an effort.

In that one case with youi, I got caught out/slack and provided my phone number... then got a phone call and a great price so provided my email... then read the PDS and decided to go elsewhere.... Still get emails...

Also, I’d think some may simply do online quotes as they often have a discount included.
Yes I do the Same. Last year I did for my VR Comm, I got a third Party accident Only from AAMI and they were the cheapest and possible will go to them this year for all our cars.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don't understand why people are giving out their email addresses.
I usually do. I already get enough SPAM that the result of a legitimate company getting me on their books & spreading my deets around all their other subsidiaries affects me not-one-iota, even when they onsell that info (which I know happens, but rarely in this circumstance).

gmholdman

Reaction score
Members Ride
v6 in FJ ute
Contacted Shannon’s about the refund and they reduced one of my policies by $90 per year starting as from now. Doesn’t sound much but better than nothing.

Last edited: