Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intake valve carbon build-up, is it normal?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
allmost looks like a buildup from leaded fuel too im guessing its still leaded there

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
Surely not? I don't know of anywhere in the developed world you can still use leaded petrol in cars. That is what I'd expect to see in a well-used SIDI engine with **** fuel, **** oil and no maintenance, but not so much in a V8.

ruxall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2011 Calais wagon
Try an on-car throttle body clean ( not can, professionally done) and chuck on a catch can. That will help.
You may think I am crazy, but this what I do:
Having used carbon cleaners running it through the vacuum (6cyl) on the front of the throttle body with moderate success, but here's a radical method. You have seen engines when the head has been removed and noticed how clean the piston near the blow is. Yes, steam. I have a restrictor clamp and a tube, then put around 300-350 of water in a bottle, and connect it up to that click off vacuum tube, start the engine and slowly let it suck it in, just enough flow to slow the engine but not enough to stall it. After this treatment check the fuel consumption, mine went from 10.6 down to 9.2 to the 100

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
You may think I am crazy, but this what I do:
Having used carbon cleaners running it through the vacuum (6cyl) on the front of the throttle body with moderate success, but here's a radical method. You have seen engines when the head has been removed and noticed how clean the piston near the blow is. Yes, steam. I have a restrictor clamp and a tube, then put around 300-350 of water in a bottle, and connect it up to that click off vacuum tube, start the engine and slowly let it suck it in, just enough flow to slow the engine but not enough to stall it. After this treatment check the fuel consumption, mine went from 10.6 down to 9.2 to the 100

Good info regarding the steam, but you replied to a post that's almost 10 years old.