Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intense brake squeal with DBA T3 rotors and QFM HPX pads - VF2 SSVR

Leon771

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII SS-V Redline Sportwagon
Had they been machined in that 60k kms? You'd think that repeated braking from bumper to bumper speeds wouldn't be as hard on them as repeated high speed (ie freeway) braking. What was actually wrong with them when you swapped them, were they below minimum thickness or warped etc?

Some rotors were on minimum thickness and others around 0.2-0.3mm away from minimum. Our services are filmed by Holden so I saw the measurements. When my mechanic changed rotors/pads for me I had a look at the rotors myself and threw a vernier gauge on them just to confirm measurements and what I obtained was essentially the same as Holden +/- 0.2mm

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Some rotors were on minimum thickness and others around 0.2-0.3mm away from minimum. Our services are filmed by Holden so I saw the measurements. When my mechanic changed rotors/pads for me I had a look at the rotors myself and threw a vernier gauge on them just to confirm measurements and what I obtained was essentially the same as Holden +/- 0.2mm

Fair enough, was that from previous machining or sheer wear and tear, or a combination?

Leon771

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII SS-V Redline Sportwagon
Never machined. Just wear.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
I removed my HPX rear pads because of squeeking. Put some Brembos on instead and didn’t hear them once.

Last edited:

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
What is the rate of wear for rotors? I know it will depend on driving factors but whats the average life from Brembo rotors. My rotors are currently 31.5mm (64k km) and they state the minimum is 30mm. Also what measurement are they from new? My pads are due for replacement just not sure if the rotors will need to be also.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I'm about to replace my original front rotors at 108K's. They are are worn a bit, haven't measured them but there is a lip there but not excessive. I have the brembo pads which replaced the Ferodo originals. The Ferodo's were a better pad for feel and bite, but were a bit dusty, which sort of goes hand in hand. The Brembo pads are OK but did squeal a little when new but did settle down.
The main issue I'm feeling is like hot spots on the rotors under traffic braking which caused shuddering.
I was thinking of using the DBA T3's with the QFM pads, but now I'm a bit worried. My history with DBA products has not been the best and ended back with OEM.
With your squeaking issue, sounds to me that your pads are glazed. I would get your Mech to remove them and rub on 100 grit aluminum paper in the direction of travel.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought hot spots were caused by improper bedding in, rather than the brand of pads?

JoeVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS REDLINE
i have used QFM HPX pads in lots of cars and never had a squealing issue.the only thing other than the copper grease i usually do is a light chamfer around the edge of each pad. an old habit my father taught me with my first car.doesnt need much,maybe 1.5mm wide. had mates with issues and it solved their squeals.
cheers
warrick
Hey mate what tools do i use to perform this procedure??