Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interceptor Rims Questions!!!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
VB and I think VC and VH police rims were silver and 15X6 in diametreand made from steel.....Original fitament were 14X6 for 6 cyl and V8's....Yes, there was an alloy rim fitted as an extra.....4 banger commodores had 13 X5 (I think 5), which were actually a different stud pattern (Commonly referred to as Torana pattern)

Later on, when steel 15X6 became common fitament, the only way to tell genuine police rims were by colour...Silver....the rest were black....Later on, the diametre became 7" wide..

This interceptor/pursuit rim was made up by the general public to help differentiate the different rims fitted to police cars, with the 6" range.....The 7" range became fairly common on Commodores/Crewmans

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
VB-VK police steels were 14x6 same as everything else, and the first mention of a police specific wheel was in the VK

Sorry mate, but the steel rims fitted to police cars in the VB to VH were 15X6 and were silver in colour.....this was one of the easiest ways to identify an under cover police car....I will add in, these rims are becoming increasingly hard to find

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Vaguely remember chasers coming out on vl v8 & vl turbo due to bigger front brakes...then vn v8,early v6 models got steel 14's except spac.(vl v8,turbo & vn spac only commo's to have 15" hubcaps back then)

Vh & Vk were still riding on steel rim 14's unless calais or sle

That's the way I remember it anyway in NSW...unmarked cars became more common when vn commodores came out as 50/50 it was cop car & most people kept older cars longer.

Cops been using unmarked cars since early 70's with gtr torries,chargers,hardtop coupes & even mini apparently.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I happen to know where an original VH ex-chaser is alive and well, in S.A.....This car has the original 15X6 silver steel rims still fitted...The owner bought the car from the auctions and has been offered reasonable money, to part with it....Also being in the tyre trade for a little while, I have seen a few 15X6 original silver steel wheels, where the normal colour for 15X6 were black...It wasn't until the 15X7 steel rims came out, that the black was dropped .

As for unmarked cop cars...Yes I'm aware they have been around for a while....I knew of a XF Falcon that the S.A coppers used to bait people, by fitting a V8 to it and enticing them into a traffic light run....And the coppers used Valiant sedans as unmarked cars as well.....

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Sorry mate, but the steel rims fitted to police cars in the VB to VH were 15X6 and were silver in colour.....this was one of the easiest ways to identify an under cover police car....I will add in, these rims are becoming increasingly hard to find

... nope incorrect! I was at GMH when they were making them and
14 x 6 was the std fitment on all VB-VH police cars and even early VKs

1984-holden-vk-commodore-ex-police-car-308-v8-sedan.jpg

I have a mate with an original yellow VH ex Vicpol chaser.. has 14 x 6 wheels as was on when he purchased the car from the guvmint auctions in the 80s

15 x 6 came out very late VK and on VL and onto VN
Parts manual shows the story for VB-VK ....

redvtwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Wagon V6 Ecotec
where can i buy brand new 15x7 interceptors, wondering if there is a place that makes them.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
where can i buy brand new 15x7 interceptors, wondering if there is a place that makes them.
holden parts dealer had some nos at ridiculous price a while back, not sure available anymore
I bought some caps from melbourne at BCI I think from memory they were called 12 months ago, I recall they had the larger rims available, not sure they have 15s