Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermitant clicks from rear mostly when reversing

Jimmo

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SVZ Sedan
Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get some help diagnosing an issue I've got with my 06 vz. I've spent all day reading but haven't really found anything.

There's a click from right hand rear mostly when reversing, either straight or turning out of a carpark. I've occasionally had it in drive too when going slow after take off (so not straight away), and if i back off and accl again it will go away. When it happens in reverse I've found it clicks about once a revolution. I got down by the wheel while the missus slowly reversed and heard it sounding like directly behind the wheel. Didn't feel like sticking my head behind at that particular moment! Seems to me like CV?

I've had the wheel off the ground and given it a spin and can't get the click, whether spinning the wheel or tailshaft. There is a heap of play though between the diff and gearbox when moving the wheel back / forward and it's quite clunky. When i do move the wheel the diff is quite noisy / whiny with more resistance spinning the wheel backwards. So it seems like it could be diff related?

Recently there has been some vibrations around 100k/h which has been getting worse, and just today it happened around 50k/h. Roughly 10k/h above those speeds or below it will go away. I've vibrations before but when braking at speed, and replacement rotors and pads fixed it (they needed replacing!). So this kinda seems like driveshaft / diff related. The 2nd time i heard the clicking was in drive up a hill slow (smooth dirt driveway), and it sounded like it came from the middle under the car.

The boots on CV's are all good although i can see grease has been spun out on the underside, but visually seem ok. I've checked diff fluid level and although the oil is clear-ish there's a lot of black sludge in it especially on the inside of the case. Bushings too look good, not deteriorating. Visually everything seems stable, nuts and bolts are tight.

Do you think replacing the CV joints would be worth it? Maybe just a grease repack? Maybe a new set of diff bearings or a reco diff?

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.
Cheers