Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent coolant leak

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
it's not the water pump is it? a friends car is doing the same atm. check to see if there is a trail from the water pump down.

Jazzyjeff78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V
That is what I would have thought but wouldn't two pressure tests have picked that up?

Do stuffed water pumps only leak from time to time?

There is coolant around the pump, including above it. Would the belts have flung the coolant above the pump, which then ran back down? There is no sign of a leak at the very top of the block (above where the coolant has come from).

Thanks guys.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Most pumps have a pressure point built in so you know when they're stuffed. It's like a little hole that as it gets worse, more and more coolant will flow from (intermittently). Pressure tests may not pick this up.

It's very possible that if it runs on the belt will get sprayed around. There's quite a bit of pressure from a water pump.

Jazzyjeff78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V
Hmm...and to think when I sold my 95 325I earlier in the year (against my will) I thought, well at least I won't have to worry about that finicky BMW cooling system anymore.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Water pump or the 2 seals where the coolant filler neck bolts to the timing cover. I would do all 3 but that's just me.