Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent High Idle VE SS

SPEEDTRIPPER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6 UTE.
Been chasing an intermittent high idle and slow to return throttle issue for at least the last 12 months, replaced the pedal assembly which did seem to help a little, the MAF and the throttle body But no joy.
Then my sons 09 SS ute developed an issue with the temperature gauge being erratic which then created starting and idling problems.
I assumed it would be the sender unit which I replaced, curing the gauge problem but also surprisingly ( to me ) the start and idle problem.
So I then replaced the sender unit in mine and the throttle and idle issues seem to have gone !!! I've driven for a week and still seems good :rolleyes: so thought this might help some others who've had this issue.

Reactions: Lex

Woodsy104

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore SSV Sedan
my car had a similar issue, same symptoms, but mine was caused by a broken water temp sensor defaulting to -40c.

Charger4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 SV6 Ute
Been chasing an intermittent high idle and slow to return throttle issue for at least the last 12 months, replaced the pedal assembly which did seem to help a little, the MAF and the throttle body But no joy.
Then my sons 09 SS ute developed an issue with the temperature gauge being erratic which then created starting and idling problems.
I assumed it would be the sender unit which I replaced, curing the gauge problem but also surprisingly ( to me ) the start and idle problem.
So I then replaced the sender unit in mine and the throttle and idle issues seem to have gone !!! I've driven for a week and still seems good :rolleyes: so thought this might help some others who've had this issue.
If the computer is getting incorrect coolant temp info, then it will definitely change engine parameters. If it thinks it's cold, it'll run a high idle I think. So it makes sense to me. Was your coolant gauge reading incorrectly too ?

SPEEDTRIPPER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6 UTE.
Hey C,
It was taking way too long to come up to temperature and the gauge was fluctuating a bit so I figured it was the thermostat, so I replaced that which sorted the warming up issue but the gauge was still moving a little.
It was when my sons VE SS gave the same symptoms ( starting strange and idle problems) plus the gauge was all over the shop and I replaced his sensor and it cured the lot I thought this might work on mine, which so far so good :)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
wrong temp reading can affect quite a bit of the calculations

SPEEDTRIPPER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6 UTE.
Yeh all these electronics are great when they're working right !!!