Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

internet USAGE!

fkford

Love The Beast!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec S2
so, i have Bigpond standard cable 10gig a month for 59.95$. I think the speed for standard is like 8mbps or something. But every month i seem to chew through my usage within a few weeks and am left with slow as dog **** internet until it clicks over again. I have no idea how i could use 10gig in that amount of time!?! yeh i download movies etc but theres no way i could use 10gig. Is there anything on the net that chews it up quickly that i may be doing? do torrents chew through them?

I am thinking of upgrading to the Bigpond 25gig per month plan with 30mbps speed (the best and fastest they could offer) for 89.95 a month. according to them theres no "unlimited" download option?

What plans do you guys have? Is Bigpond a rip off? cheers.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
The 10 gig is both uploads and downloads.

And yes torrents chew through it if your uploading at speed aswell.

Is bigpond a ripoff? hmmmm.... Not really. their just pricks to deal with.
Im with a local company called westvic

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
you download movies (1 Movie on av. is 650mb) = 15 movies

+ General browsing, updates etc.... over a month..

I dont find it hard at all that your going over 10gig...

aZk.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I would switch ISP's entirely.

Im maying 60 month for dsl2 with unlimited up and down data(friends in high places :p). $60 month on dsl2 will get you 150gig plans no worries at all.

I use 10 gig on a daily basis lol. Yes, bigpond is a ripoff.

fkford

Love The Beast!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec S2
The 10 gig is both uploads and downloads.

And yes torrents chew through it if your uploading at speed aswell.

Is bigpond a ripoff? hmmmm.... Not really. their just pricks to deal with.
Im with a local company called westvic

uploads and downloads? please explain...

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
easy
downloading-is everything you look at on the net(even this page) plus any files that you download.
uploading-anything you share with some one. ie. when downloading you often share back what you have already downloaded-that is called uploading.
often plans come with 2 speeds one is downloading and the other is uploading.
plans differ, some will have unlimited or unmetered uploading but a lot count uploading towards your plan limit.

sheepz

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SV6 manual
I'd say it's from your uploading while your downloading your movies.... Whats your upload speed set 2? I leave mine capped at 5kbs upload until the end of the month to get my ratio back.

Also you can go onto bigpond.com and look at mybigpond and look at your actually daily breakdown usage.

fkford

Love The Beast!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec S2
I'd say it's from your uploading while your downloading your movies.... Whats your upload speed set 2? I leave mine capped at 5kbs upload until the end of the month to get my ratio back.

Also you can go onto bigpond.com and look at mybigpond and look at your actually daily breakdown usage.

very helpfull. im not sure what its set at im using Utorrent and dont think iv changed the settings.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I was on bigpond for years but I made the move _finally_ to exetel a couple months ago and it rocks! cheaper and better. I've got 60 gig peak and 85 gig off peak for 59 bucks a month or something like this. It's a top notch isp but you have to do the setup yourself etc (but it's easy). Once you join up you can choose alot of stuff in the members section like buying domain and hosting (really good deals) and choose which wildlife charity to send your 5 bucks a month to which they believe in being a company that uses Earth resources rather than the profits going to shareholders and such. All around they are spot on

P.S I was on the bigpond 25 gig plan before I used to get capped most months, exetel unlike bigpond don't count upload data and now even trying pretty hard I could only use 30 gig peak and 30 gig off peak and that was downloading a lot of crap I didn't even need or want. Actually is $65 a month plan TL-C3

http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.php

But TL-C2 is the one you want, $55

The off peak allowance is worked out each month depending on what they think is "fair" depending on how busy the cables are etc but at the moment it's 85 gig

If you are lucky enough to be one of the lucky few that have an adsl2 exchange you can get one of these

http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_adsl2_nf.php