Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Iphone 3g no reception

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
this is giving me the shits, im trying to sell it. but it won't get reception. It occasionaly gets 1 bar. Otherwise its constantly "searching"
I have tried turning 3g on and off
i have tried to unlock it, it says its voda au 9.0 (in settings > general>about) Tried unlocking it on the voda website but it says it cant find the imei

it was dropped and the lcd broke, so the lcd was replaced and it works fine now just has no fkn recpetion.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
try some other telecom provider simcard ,then will rule out the vodaphone reception issue , then u will for certain know its with ur phone.
also try in different areas, like in different suburbs

For unlocking , call vodaphone customer service they will do it over the phone, ur IMIE number is on ur Simcard holder and in you phone settings.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Funny someone brought this up. Was thinking about starting a thread... but anyway I bought a 3GS off a mate. He apparently dropped it and the power button no longer worked. He tried to open it but broke cables and back cover was cracked (either before or after). He also had a 4 and dropped that too and broke the screen so he took it to a phone repair shop (not authorised I would say) and they did a good enough job that he dropped the 3GS off and got that fixed too with a new back cover (says 32GB now, its a 16GB :p). So it costed me $250 all up with the repair and a bit on top. But I must say the receptions pretty average if you ask me.

Previously had 2G nokias and theyre alright around here. If I leaved them on my bedside table they would have at least 2 bars with the reception around here. But with the same simcard it will sit on my bedside table and say no service for hours on end. It might get 1 or 2 bars here and there, and even get 1 or 2 when in the middle of my house where my old phone would get nothing (no 3G in my area btw). With vodafone too. But the strange thing is when Im in a good 3G area I cant recall ever having full bars? I think. Dont mean to hijack :)

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
Its same with every1... they say you in good reception area but u hardly get any

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Can be too much reception in theory. More likely too far from tower or on blind side of structure shielding you from it.

Take the phone to a few areas. I have a 3GS iPhone and never had reception issues. Better than the 2g Nokia I used before.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Tried turning 3G off and what do you know. Constantly 1 bar lol. I used to have a HTC on next G that came with my old job and that always had reception, not alot, but enough to walk around the house without it dropping out. Even now while inside I search for carriers on the iPhone and it finds telstra! Tempting lol

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
the thing is im in the middle of canberra. my other iphone 3gs has full reception. Ive got a vodafone sim in it now, tried my optus one but it didnt work either. When i went to unlock my current good one they wouldnt do it over the phone, wasnt a big issue though, just did it the normal way and it worked

ive tried having 3g on and off
and yeah dont let anyone tell you otherwise, 3 series ihpones get very **** reception. a few mates iphone 4's seem to do alright though.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Yeah I wont deny that but in my case turning 3G off theres a noticeable difference. I get 1 bar in most areas of the house and 3 outside. I also get 3 outside with 3G on but no service inside. Going to a mates tonight whos in a 3G area but reception still varies inside/outside so will see if I still get better reception with 3G off. If I do I can live without it until Im in a decent 3G area lol

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
this is giving me the shits, im trying to sell it. but it won't get reception. It occasionaly gets 1 bar. Otherwise its constantly "searching"
I have tried turning 3g on and off
i have tried to unlock it, it says its voda au 9.0 (in settings > general>about) Tried unlocking it on the voda website but it says it cant find the imei

it was dropped and the lcd broke, so the lcd was replaced and it works fine now just has no fkn recpetion.
Does anyone have any ideas?

If it was repaired by a carrier or auth'd apple repairer, then quite often, instead of repairing 'your' handset, it is swaped with a full refurbished handset, so the IMEI number will no longer match the one that Voda has for you, this may explain why your IMEI can not be found.