Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ipod connectivity with steering wheel controls

snivags

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Hi I'm sure someone on here can help.
I have a vz wagon with a standard head unit with steering wheel controls, and am wondering what is the easiest/cheapest way to be able to connect an ipod to the stereo and keep the steering wheel controls.
I don't mind spending money on a new head unit, just didn't want to go mad with the cost(I am 45 y.o. no boom boom here:yeah::yeah:), but all the head units I have looked at so far require a wiring loom to enable the steering wheel controls at a cost of approx $150 just for the loom.
In total I was looking at a bill of roughly $500 with fitting.
Would this be the cheapest way to do it.
Any info greatly received as I am getting bored of South Oz radio stations.

esca_ByDesign

Clean and Classy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY exec By Design
hey mate, are you using the 30 pin connector or the aux, because only certain ipods can be controlled by the aux (such as the volume and track controls on headphones). also this is hard to program into a module.

the 30 pin plug is a bit easier and there are some modules that can be intergrated into the standard headunit to keep the controls, but yeah they are quite pricey.
ive just got the aux from stock head unit and use the volume but not the skip track, thats what my girlfriend is for haha.

hope this helps a bit

Optic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz - Sv6
hey mate I have a Vz sv6 and I am looking to upgrade my sound system also so I can ipod connectivity while still keeping the steering wheel buttons. I found that alpine head units should do the trick, but im not sure how much you want to spend.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
See the link below. I have this modification done in my VZ Calais. It works fantastic (just like the videos in the link) and also still retains use of steering controls. I wanted to keep the factory head unit and this was perfect for me.

I got Ant (member name: wrx884) in Perth to install mine.

null - udcaus

snivags

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Thanks for the replies, just got to find someone in Adelaide to sort this for me, far too complicated for me.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Email Vlad, he is the guy who designed the unit which is in my link in the above post. At one stage there was a service where you could post your head unit to him and it would be sent back completed and ready to install.

Otherwise you could PM a user on here named Ant (wrx884). He installed my kit. He is in Perth and may do the mod for you if you post to him.

Goodluck :)

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Vlad installed mine also - just slide the unit out, post it to him, slide unit back in.
Works perfectly as advertised.