Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is 100km per hour too fast for sealed country roads ?

roy38

Reaction score
Members Ride
thunder
Why the hell are we cappering to useless people!?

Set a standard and make the populace caper to it!

Agreed, the stupid are taking over. e.g "do not use hairdryer while in bathtub" etc. labels

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
OR "this bag of nuts MAY contain traces of nuts"

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
SOLD - VX, Now have MY14 CRUZE
100 Is too slow, But they may as well cut it down, I'm sick of double lane roads "left for over taking" being full of stupid morons going 80 - 90kmph and holding up the "over taking lane"... So many people really don't know how too drive, And Our roads are pretty damn safe for 100kmph, So If you think it's too fast then Maybe we should look at taking your license, If you can't handle 100 on a highway / road that's allowing 100, Then you shouldn't be driving.

I never speed, But I always stick too the speed limit, I'm so sick of people driving slow on our roads, Why on earth do these people have licenses?

So really, It doesn't matter if they cut down the speed limit, It will just make the slow drivers drive even slower.... "Oh the speed limits 90 now, I must drive 75 - 80"

And you do realise if you drive too slow under the limit police can actually pull you over? I don't care if they want too drive way under the speed limit, Just pull over when I'm bloody well there DOING the speed limit...

melissasd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Like the above poster said it's just gonna be another excuse for more dipsticks to go even more below the speed limit.
I don't speed, but I do sit on the limit.. used to have no trouble doing it in my old 4cyl, diesel, Hilux.
I like the 130 limit in the NT.. and they also have the least amount of road deaths in Australia.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
i hope they dont lower the speed limit after going over to melbourne from adelaide last year and just as we go over the border the rest of our trip was sitting at 100km until we got onto the freeway leading into melbourne

but if those 3 in 4 find 100km to fast then let them go 90 and i will keep going 100 or whatever the speed limit is because i find highway driving no problem and if some people dont like it then take a defensive driving coarse and learn how to handle it

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Talking about country roads, single lane narrow gutted backroads then 100 imo is too quick. I drive these roads daily and tend not to get over 90 kays in most places.
As mentioned above, it's not that the limit needs to be dropped as such, it's just that people need to drive to the conditions.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
^^^^^^^exactly, driving to the conditions is what driving on country roads is about, unfortunately the lawmakers seem to think that people are too stupid to think for themselves.

lowering the limit is bloody ridiculous, i bet not one of the bozo's in that survey has ever left the cities. once you're out bush where its the best part of 100k's between towns even 100km/hr gets boring and fatigue starts to set in quick.

between work and home is 1100 odd km, a few hundred of that is wide, well maintained road zoned 110km/hr. if no one is watching i might lean on the gas a little where conditions allow, i actually get somewhere and fatigue is never an issue.

even dropping from 110 to 100 its a noticeable difference for the worse, it feels like i'm going 20k slower and fatigue sets in quicker plus i'm on the road that little bit longer than if i was still doing 110. it would feel worse again dropping from 100 to 90

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I remember on one of my regular trips out to Cobar (between Nyngan and Cobar is 150km of mainly dead straight flat road) sitting at a constant 140km/hr and I saw a white speck in my rear view mirror.

I backed off a bit in case it was a cop. The speck got closer and it was a white commodore. I backed off even more but this car just kept coming.

It eventually overtook me and it was a mum driving it with her kids in the back. She had to be doing better than 150km/hr.

100km/hr on these roads is too slow, especially when you are talking about a minimum 150km to get anywhere (Nyngan or Bourke), or 300km to Dubbo.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I am under my bridge! You just don't realise how far the internet has spread! And I still say I experienced it;) I was there from go to whoa, just in a different way than my wife.
Until you give birth to a baby, you have not experienced it. (And assuming your male, you never will, and THAT is what my comment was showing, but you already knew that, ay commsirac)