Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is a wood heater a wood heater? School me.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Looking to replace an existing wood heater. Currently looking at a convection heater rated at 300m^2. Apparently because we’re restricted to a corner space, we’re limited to convection heaters because their clearance requirements are more generous.

Something like this:
https://kentwoodheaters.com.au/kent-country-classic-mkii/

Between Australian made and imported products the price difference is approx $2k. At this stage of our lives (and budget), we’re forced to stick with products at the more affordable end.

Does anybody have any knowledge, experience or advice on features, or even brands to look out for?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try Ultimate Wood Heaters and get the one made in North Victoria, Shepparton I think it is. I've bought two from them and they are one of the best around and they are about the same price, maybe even cheaper than a Saxon from BBQs Galore. Talk to Ultimate as they will advise you on the differences theirs are compared to a Chinese Saxon. I was able to get one shipped from Ultimate cheaper than I could get another Australian made one in Tasmania for.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
1686922132181.png

Does anybody have any knowledge, experience or advice on features, or even brands to look out for?

Because of the design ours sits just 100mm off the rear wall.

https://ultimatefires.com.au/

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Get it plumbed for your hot water
I'm not so sure that is really worth the hassle in the long run.
Depends on when you use the bath/shower too.
But if you do, also use hot water feed on dishwasher and set it for it so it uses less power (and do dishes at night obviously)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Looking to replace an existing wood heater. Currently looking at a convection heater rated at 300m^2. Apparently because we’re restricted to a corner space, we’re limited to convection heaters because their clearance requirements are more generous.

Something like this:

Between Australian made and imported products the price difference is approx $2k. At this stage of our lives (and budget), we’re forced to stick with products at the more affordable end.

I believe the newer units are more efficient.
But also depending on lifestyle, consider all your options.
My brother and I took out our mum's old fire and installed a large heat pump in it's place.
No more wood chopping, no starting a fire after getting home from work and then going to bed 4hours later. Just set and forget with the heat pump, house is always warm, less effort, easier lifestyle.

I love our wood burner though, such strong dry heat. Great for the lounge rooms.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON

Something like this:

Do your homework as much as you possibly can. (I’m sure you’ve already done this)

Most of the installation specifications and heat ratings are available on line, and are not too hard to understand.

You yourself can determine whether a particular heater is suitable for your requirements and complies to Australian standards.

Every heater be it wood, gas, or electric, has different installation specifications, and the correct clearances from combustible materials is vital.

Determine the area you wish to heat, taking into account heat loss through high ceilings and poor insulation etc.

Check as many reviews on line as you can.

Most importantly, make sure, and I will stress this, that the installer of your fire, knows what he’s f@#king doing! I have seen too many dodgy installations of wood and gas fires in my time.

At the end of the day, wood fires are a pretty expensive way to heat your home unless you have good access to efficient burning wood and it’s free:) But if that’s your only form of heating, so be it.

There aren’t many wood heaters with an efficiency rating over 80 percent, but I would be looking at something no less than the one you’ve referred to.

You could also look at Heat Transfer Kits, which transfer the heat from your heater to other rooms.

By the way, I owned a business selling and installing gas and wood fires.
I would be reluctant to recommend any in particular because there are so many products and variables which may determine whether a fire runs, burns, heats, or vents efficiently and effectively.

Reactions: Lex

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON