Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You're saying that XA/B/C, then XE/F were the same as XR ?
Yeah, in fact I'd have said "notoriously so". :)
They changed the panels, but the floorpan was basically the same, with grandpa's-axe changes to suspension over time.
They had SFA budget.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Figjam

I used to think the same but felt let down when I couldn't find a Calais anywhere in Aus.

Seriously, I think new mainstream Holden models prior to the Commodore used recycled US nameplates which had not been marketed here previously.

Hell, even Football, meat pies etc was a rehash of a Chevy jingle.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
You're saying that XA/B/C, then XE/F were the same as XR ?

Wherever possible. Local manufacturers carried over basic floorpans and suspension to keep development costs down. I don't know about pre XR Falcons carrying over, but as Forg states the basic undercarriage went from XR to XF. Commodore carried over the basic floorpans and front suspension from VB to VP with the exception of IRS models and live rear suspension right up to the last VS.

The Brougham used Premier panels apart from Inner and Outer rear quarter panels, lengthened panel between the rear window and boot lid and an extension panel to the standard floorpan to lengthen the boot floor. The HK Brougham had a unique boot lid but for HT and HG, this was the standard bootlid for all sedan models. A clever bit of cost cutting as well as neat restyling IMO.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yeah, in fact I'd have said "notoriously so". :)
They changed the panels, but the floorpan was basically the same, with grandpa's-axe changes to suspension over time.
They had SFA budget.

Wherever possible. Local manufacturers carried over basic floorpans and suspension to keep development costs down. I don't know about pre XR Falcons carrying over, but as Forg states the basic undercarriage went from XR to XF. Commodore carried over the basic floorpans and front suspension from VB to VP with the exception of IRS models and live rear suspension right up to the last VS.

Well there you go.....learn something new every day.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Hell, even Football, meat pies etc was a rehash of a Chevy jingle.

Yair …... a reheated, microwaved version of ‘Baseball, hotdogs, apple pies and Chevrolet.’
If it wasn’t for this internet thingy, we may never have learned about that.
What will the next jingle be ? ...... ‘Soccer, frogs legs, bratwurst and Peugopel cars’ ???

And the best ‘grandad’s axe’ award has got to go to the evolution of the Falcon engine from 1960s XK to the FG-X Barra version.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Had a HK Brougham, Premier and Kingswood. Loved them all and wish I still had them especially the Brougham.
Have to say that the HT Brougham was best interior high backed seats front and back with the 308 V badges on the front fenders, my sister had a HK Premier 186 silver with red interior and I a HG Premier 253 blue with white roof and air-con.
I worked with a dude who had HK 307 Brougham then the HT and HG Broughams all from new and he said that the 307 HK performed the best, then he had all the Statesman's up to HZ with the last HZ he hung onto and put a brand new 350 chev in it in 1981, said it was a engine imported by the Camaro's mob that ran in Bathurst just as one of their spares stock as a rock but pasted ADR and he hung on to that car for years, about 2008 I think and got a WB.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought they were cut-and-shut Euro designs, similar to how they did the VB Commodore, but then stretched for the luxo cars?

The age of the Falcons/Fairlanes was pretty bad ... when did the basis of the XR come out in the USA, 1963 was it? And only really replaced by EA in 1988. 25 years is a loooong stretch, especially at that time in car design.
The XR Falcon came out on sale around the same time in USA 1966.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, but it was a clever design by Holden at the time. Tapped into the LWB luxo market with very limited tooling changes. Until the HQ Stato was released. All Australian too. Unlike the Fords.
Non of the Falcons or Holden's were all Aussie designed, the HQ was started from a 2 door Coupe and the XA Falcon was started from a USA Fairlane type Mercury type of thing they dropped and Aus designed the XA Hardtop and ute and p van and fiddled with the sedan and wagon all with help from the yanks as well. the XD was the first Aussie designed Falcon and the X flow Ford 6 cyl.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Non of the Falcons or Holden's were all Aussie designed, the HQ was started from a 2 door Coupe and the XA Falcon was started from a USA Fairlane type Mercury type of thing they dropped and Aus designed the XA Hardtop and ute and p van and fiddled with the sedan and wagon all with help from the yanks as well. the XD was the first Aussie designed Falcon and the X flow Ford 6 cyl.
XA was new upper-body panels on an XY floorpan.
XD was new upper-body panels (following Euro style eg. Granada & Cortina) on an XC floorpan.