Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
I still think that they should have not called it a "Commodore"

Yes. All calling it Commodore has done, is raised a **** storm online every time it is mentioned. Reality is many current Commodore owners have no interest in this car and many who don't own Commdore's think of them as Boganmobiles anyway, so why would you want to associate the Insignia with that? Completely stumped as to why marketing and the execs think keeping the name is a good thing. I've come to the conclusion its another sign that GM is out of touch with the Australian market or desperation to think that somehow this will stop the new Insignia selling in numbers similar to Fords Mondeo.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ I'm not entirely convinced that marketing people have a clue.
They probably look at how poorly the Malibu & Epica sold despite being almost as large yet way cheaper than a Commodore, and decided it must have been because of a badge people didn't know.
Solution --> use badge people know!
They should do a new Camira, and a P76 Edition while they're at it.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
stupid question I guess but being 2L turbo do they need 95/98 fuel all the time?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's not a partcularly stupid question, plenty of Euro petrols that won't take less than 95 'cos they've never been tuned to meet emissions targets on 91 swill.
I'd expect something with a Holden badge to be 91-capable, but don't know it will be.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've started reading the article in the latest Wheels, comparing a near-production-ready 2L Calais, as-yet-not-unmasked VXR, and a VF2 SV6.
Predictably, despite the refinement and grunt of even the 2L, there are still things they prefer about the SV6.
Wheels tend to post their stories online not super long after the magazine's released, I'll post a link here when it comes up. :)

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V & VU S1
Still kind of on topic, but stepping away from the NG chat for a sec:
Hypothetically, if GM made the decision to replace the Holden brand here in Oz with Chevrolet then import the various models by their known names (eg Impala, Tahoe, Camaro, Silverado etc)
Would you consider it?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
No. You only have to read the reviews of the Chev SS in the American magazines to see how much better it is than so many of their local offerings.

I think they still have a way to go before their cars become really desirable.

Last edited:

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Read an article in the car magazine, Holden named the V6 NG Commodore "VRX" instead using "SS", hinting there are better things to come for the "SS" badge.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Hypothetically, if GM made the decision to replace the Holden brand here in Oz with Chevrolet then import the various models by their known names (eg Impala, Tahoe, Camaro, Silverado etc) Would you consider it?

YES, it would make sense, but NO, I would not consider any of the above.
The Ford flavour of the year, Mustang, seems to have more problems than enough to keep owners unhappy. It may go and sound good, but I have read unhappiness about build quality and reliability on the Ford forums.
So, any American designed and assembled vehicle would be unacceptable to me until they get nearer to Jap or Korean standards.

Last edited: