Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ The 2L turbo really replaces the 3.0 V6, the 2L seems to win that one.
The new 3.6 V6 replaces the old 3.6 V6, the new one has more power & will undoubtedly be more flexible too.
Despite the price & the VXR badge, there’s no replacement for the V8.
They’re crossing their fingers & hoping that the overpriced HSV Camaros that nobody will buy are going to get at least some of the V8 buyers to remember what Holden is until the Holden Camaro in a few year’s time ...

Comfal

Reaction score
Holden are insulting Australians intelligence again. They are trying to market a price drop for the base model of $1800 over the VF. NO one paid retail for the VF. So base model of the ZB D/A is easily $3,000 plus what you would pay for a VF Evoke. I was interested in the VXR but $60k D/A for a normally aspirated V6 and a size smaller than VF is a joke. Holden obviously learnt nothing from over pricing the Astra at release. Expect big discounts by around May next year.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
The cabin space and boot space is more than adequate. Remember when the VB Commodore replaced the HZ Kingswood? Our family car was a HZ Kingswood and my dad worked at GMH, so I remember as a kid when the new Commodore came out and I thought it was a small car - even as a kid I thought it was a small car! Anyway, the car got bigger and the engines got more powerful.

As the Holden website does not state the engine size with the relevant kilowatts, I went to Wikipedia to grab some stats. The 2.0l turbo produces 191kw - down from 210kw in the current 3,6l V6. I drove a 2.0l turbo in the top end Equinox and it was quite zippy from 0-100km - it seemed far quicker than the current 3.6l V6 in an SV6, which appears sluggish in comparison - overall weight of car maybe?

I drove around a family of 5 in a VR Commodore with a 3.8l V6 with 130kw of power. That was adequate enough for my growing family. We don't "need" a V8, but we "want" a V8. The 230Kw of the twin turbo V6 ZB Commodore should be more than enough for most people. A 1978 VB Commodore with a 5.0l V8 had 115kw of power (small boot and cabin space) - my 1994 VR Commodore with a 3.8l V6 had 130kw of power (big boot and cabin space) - the new 2018 ZB Commodore with a 3.6l V6 twin turbo will have 230kw of power (medium/big boot and medium/big cabin space) - just some of my examples.

There is no "need" for a 6.2l V8 with 304kw of power, although I am enjoying my SS-V Redline at the moment :) Just "want", no "need" :p
The HZ was massive inside, so while the VB was smaller, there was still plenty of room.
The ZB downsizing again is turning the commodore into a camry/mazda 6 sized interior. So a mid size car. Not fun when full of 5 people on a long trip.

There's no twin turbo V6 ZB commodore. Holden are asking 55K for a featured up SV6. If it was twin turbo it'd be worth the 55K!

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
The cabin space and boot space is more than adequate. Remember when the VB Commodore replaced the HZ Kingswood? Our family car was a HZ Kingswood and my dad worked at GMH, so I remember as a kid when the new Commodore came out and I thought it was a small car - even as a kid I thought it was a small car! Anyway, the car got bigger and the engines got more powerful.

As the Holden website does not state the engine size with the relevant kilowatts, I went to Wikipedia to grab some stats. The 2.0l turbo produces 191kw - down from 210kw in the current 3,6l V6. I drove a 2.0l turbo in the top end Equinox and it was quite zippy from 0-100km - it seemed far quicker than the current 3.6l V6 in an SV6, which appears sluggish in comparison - overall weight of car maybe?

I drove around a family of 5 in a VR Commodore with a 3.8l V6 with 130kw of power. That was adequate enough for my growing family. We don't "need" a V8, but we "want" a V8. The 230Kw of the twin turbo V6 ZB Commodore should be more than enough for most people. A 1978 VB Commodore with a 5.0l V8 had 115kw of power (small boot and cabin space) - my 1994 VR Commodore with a 3.8l V6 had 130kw of power (big boot and cabin space) - the new 2018 ZB Commodore with a 3.6l V6 twin turbo will have 230kw of power (medium/big boot and medium/big cabin space) - just some of my examples.

There is no "need" for a 6.2l V8 with 304kw of power, although I am enjoying my SS-V Redline at the moment :) Just "want", no "need" :p

The 2018 ZB Commodore does not have a twin turbo V6. I'v been in and driven all ZB commodores including the VXR. The VXR is V6 N/A AWD. TBH, the ZB variants are actually not that bad, tech and interior are really good. The diesel version makes a bloody racket though.. Anyway i think people who are interested in shopping trolleys will be pleasantly suprised with the ZB.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute

one point you may be missing is is how long will these engines last, a 2.0 turbo and a v6 with twin hair driers is high maintenance.
the v8 engines are very easy and cheap to repair and and anyone doing long interstate drives knows how good they are
i dont think i would like to be in a 2.0 turbo fully loaded on a 45deg + day driving through hay NSW.
the v8s will do well over 400,000 ks with ease and very little maintenance. well maybe some need a rocker change:eek:
a v8 will run for years on old dirty oil thats like sludge, not a hi tech turbo it will quickly crap itself
its not just about power, its also reliability, low maintenance,and long life

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
How long do you want an engine to last?
Certainly plenty of 20+yo 2L turbo engines around; turbocharging is nothing new, as old-fashioned a brand as Volvo were doing it en masse 35 years ago! Turbocharging is about as newfangled as DOHC ... ie. near 100 years old. :)
And there’s no turbo V6 in ZB.
And LS V8 engines may be OHV but they’re built with modern materials (which is why they’re so light) and to modern tolerances; so they’ll suffer sludgey oil etc no better than a turbo 4cyl engine built to the same tolerances.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
How long do you want an engine to last?
Certainly plenty of 20+yo 2L turbo engines around; turbocharging is nothing new, as old-fashioned a brand as Volvo were doing it en masse 35 years ago! Turbocharging is about as newfangled as DOHC ... ie. near 100 years old. :)
And there’s no turbo V6 in ZB.
And LS V8 engines may be OHV but they’re built with modern materials (which is why they’re so light) and to modern tolerances; so they’ll suffer sludgey oil etc no better than a turbo 4cyl engine built to the same tolerances.
All hail the mighty moose !

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, the Prancing Moose is most relevant here. :D

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Yes, the Prancing Moose is most relevant here. :D
Large, family capable cars with small capacity turbo engines, awesome reliability and safety record with performance to boot. The lion needs to grow some antlers.