Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is having no mufflers bad? VX

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
got a 2.5" with no mufflers, just cat.

it sounds good, just wondering if its bad for the engine ect? back pressure, fuel economy n stuff

only answer this if you're 100% sure, ive read so much **** that isnt true because people have no clue and post anyway

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Executive 3.8L
no. car will retune it self to suit any minor changes you make, like the exhaust. the only problems you will get is from the cops coz of noise.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
its bad as far as possible noise limits being breached as such, but as long as the piping is the appropriate size there will be no negative impact on the engine.

some say that you need a certain amount of backpressure in the exaust, but i certainly wouldnt be looking for that inside a muffler.

hth.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Illegal for a start.

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
thanks xander and klampy... thats good to hear

i have noticed however that my economy use to sit at around 650, and now sits at 500... and there is a rich smell of unburnt fuel. could this be my o2 sensor failing or what?

ive noticed this only after getting it cut out as well, i know it isnt my oil, coolant, spark plugs, fuel injectors n **** because that usually detoriates over time, this just happened.

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
nah, it sounds ####ing nice though man, gear 1 up to 6000revs is so nice hahah.. ill get 1 when i have a decent sound recorder

tdirago

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
well i got done for walls (major defect, load of bs) so i need to put a stock catback on for rwc, so is it hard for the muffler guy to inspect or?

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
ive had twin 3in with no mufflers (just hotdogs) for bout 3 years now and no issues