Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it Mafless tuned

Colin Tareeala

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 Vy SS sadan ( Cosmo purple) auto
Can anyone give me an answer on my question please

I have a ve ssv , and when i nrought it it was running fine , seemed a little down on power to me , it has full exhaust system but but has stock air intake , and i was guessing that it had been mafless tuned before and they have put the stock air intake in before selling it , when i got tp my home the engine light kept coming on , and now it stays on. So i unplugged the Maf sensor and when i started it , it sounded alot more clean , ran smoother , has more power then it did before. So am i right by guessing that they had it mafless tuned before and before giving it to the car yard they have put the stock air ingake in and has that caused it to eventually run like crap and burn fuel alot ? Since unplugging the maf sensor it runs way better . Any help would be appreciated thanks everyone

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
all depends what the code was ? if its ment to have the maf then i wouldnt drive it without it it will default to other tables in fueling and if the IAT sensor was used then timing will be added thinking its a freezing environment

Colin Tareeala

Reaction score
Members Ride
The bloke said it was running lean on bank 1 and 2 , and said its defiantly a tune problem. So thats why i thought maybe they had it mafless tuned before but put it all back on with stock aor intake for legal reasons so the car yard can still sell it. Thats all i can think of whats gone wrong it , cause it was running reallt bad , and now that i habe unplugged the maf sensor plug , it now runs a hell of lot better then when i first got it

Im guessing because the car yards cant sell cars without the maf sensor and the otr . Is that right ?

Colin Tareeala

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats a good question , cause thats what is im guessing has been done here with mine

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
What happens if it is tuned for no maf and has one connected ?
when a ecu is mafless tuned it relies on the maf instantly failing at startup and reverting to SD (mafless) mode so if u have a maf plugged in it will read it and then not fail it so wont be considered mafless mode, it will then use what ever fueling was left in the maf table, if u have to reconnect it then u must take the pins out of the plug so its not reading the signal and u can use the IAT built into it alone then, could be whats going on

Colin Tareeala

Reaction score
Members Ride
when a ecu is mafless tuned it relies on the maf instantly failing at startup and reverting to SD (mafless) mode so if u have a maf plugged in it will read it and then not fail it so wont be considered mafless mode, it will then use what ever fueling was left in the maf table, if u have to reconnect it then u must take the pins out of the plug so its not reading the signal and u can use the IAT built into it alone then, could be whats going on

Colin Tareeala

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks heaps mate , much appreciated. Since unplugging it its running alot better , so hopefully its fine to drive now ?

As the machanic said it was a tuning problem , so im guessing because the maf was put back in , wich would upset everything ?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the tune has to be setup a curtain way to make it fail also when maf is disconnected so would be good to know what codes u have ? or were they lean codes ? u do need a IAT sensor does it have another one in the intake ? should still have a a loom on the maf plug for the IAT to be used ?

Colin Tareeala

Reaction score
Members Ride
the tune has to be setup a curtain way to make it fail also when maf is disconnected so would be good to know what codes u have ? or were they lean codes ? u do need a IAT sensor does it have another one in the intake ? should still have a a loom on the maf plug for the IAT to be used ?