Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is it normal to get a slight thump when sticking it into P...07 5sp

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
everytime i reverse into a carpark, and stick it in P, i get a thump which i can feel through the lever stick.
I took it to holden he had a listen n said it shouldnt be a major problem and should be a problem in future, and not to worry about it. I have 2 months of waranty left on it.

any thoughts?

cheers

tyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH caprice , 2010 Holden CDX Cruze
i highly doubt any thump would be considered normal more the fact if it isnt broken holdens dont want to fix it take it to a mechanic and get it checked BEFORE your warranty expires could just be the linkage or could be the start of your gearbox going either way that close to the warranty running out id be getting it checked

Shamous69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09
I also quizzed Holden about this, I have the 4speed, apparently its just the park engaging and its normal.

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
this is my second sv6 ve, and the first one identical, didnt do it. The gearbox is great apart from that, i think its more of a annoyance than anything else. But yeah a couple weeks before the waranty expires ill get them to either fix it, or lauch a claim, so if the gearbox does have an issue due to that thump after the waranty period it should be still covered.
cheers

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
Gday Peeps

Ive got just under a week till my waranty runs out, and still not sure if this is a fault with the box that can potentialy lead to a problem. Ive taken a vid clip of it, only when it goes into park does it go 'clonk' and you feel it through the lever. Im not highly concerned as yet the gearbox is function fine. its done 30,000km on the clock.

I guess the question is how many people with the sv6 5 speed box get this clunk when going into P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh1j-_s7Jkc

Last edited:

Shamous69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09
I have got a 4 speed Omega and mine does exactly the same.. It won't "clunk" if u shift into neutral, apply handbrake tightly, release footbrake so the car is held by handbrake, and then put trans into "P".. however, the clunk happens if I restart the engine in "P" .. but you can always start it in neutral to avoid it altogether.. see if this works for you?

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
I am just about to say goodbye to my omega , but i have never had the problem you describe. With little time left on the warranty i would be pushing like crazy to get that sorted out mate.

Just listened to your vid and without being there on the spot it's hard to gauge, but something does not sound right with that.

Cheers.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
good video clip! now there's a lesson for those who want others to actually see the problem they are talking about.

that said mine definitely doesnt sound like that. thats a pretty noticeable clunk. we have different boxes (i got the newer 6sp), but still... the old box didnt sound 'that' bad. yours reminds me of the older 4 speeds.... horrid things :).
when you presented the car for a warranty repair, did you write in your own words on the customer instructions the exact problem?
because its my understanding that if you present your car for a warranty repair during the warranty period and they dont fix that problem, the warranty still covers it even though the warranty lapses.

my point is document everything. go to another dealer if you have to, so later on if things get nasty you can show that there was definitely a problem with the clunking noise (plus now you have video footage and a post date on Utube) that they didnt fix because they could see the warranty was just about to lapse.

but again, that clunk doesnt sound normal to me. its not on my car, and its not on other cars ive driven.... it sticks out like a sore thumb and reminds me of an old clunker bomodore.

you could also try a 3rd party transmission expert and ask them to give you a written quote/diagnoses that you can then take to holden as proof that theres a potential issue.

document everything mate. drivetrain issues can get very expensive very quickly.

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
Yeah cheers guys,
Considering im planing on keeping the car for a while i think i better be safe than sorry and just book it in.
They want $130 bucks to book it in to tell me if theres a fault or not. The thing is its still opperating fine at this stage, its more of an inconvienience atm.
So no doubt the 17 year old apprentice will do a simple test and tell me the gear box is opperating fine and there is no fault.

im a mech engineer myself so im gonna have a good attempt at wording it well, and being mechanicaly minded the noise it makes just pisses me off so to say :D

Shamous69 yeah sounds like the same hey. Ive never looked into the box, but im guessing the 'park' mechanism that locks the gears isnt engaging smoothlty, and only 'locks' into position with a violent thud.

ill let use know what the outcome is
cheers again!!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
They cant charge you to diagnose a fault while under warranty.

Go to another dealer.