Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth becoming a mechanic in 2023?

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
Get into mining. I considered being an auto mechanic when I was in Yr 10, nearly 30 years ago, and it was crap money then however talking to mechanics that owned their own workshops there was good money to be made. That's the long game though.
Now today they can do both now cars are now coming out Electric and the trade has changed
no idea of Trade School they offer these kids today in this area but it is always best to be skilled in engines (machenical) and Electrics
They push this in the mines

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Cheers for the responses guys! Great info!

So if I get the jist of everything, being a diesel mechanic is where the coin is at? And the real coin for being an automotive mechanic is when you own your own business?

If I wanted to go into diesel/ mines (mechanic) is it worth doing an automotive apprenticeship or just get a diesel apprenticeship?

I have a friend who is an apprentice mechanic, but wants to go into diesel. He was advised to go down this route by his TAFE course apparently

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

So if I get the jist of everything, being a diesel mechanic is where the coin is at? And the real coin for being an automotive mechanic is when you own your own business?

If I wanted to go into diesel/ mines (mechanic) is it worth doing an automotive apprenticeship or just get a diesel apprenticeship?

I have a friend who is an apprentice mechanic, but wants to go into diesel. He was advised to go down this route by his TAFE course apparently

A business owner mechanical business is a tough gig to start making a buck....Had a few mates that were top mechanics that nearly lost everything because they went into business for themselves...

So just be very wary if you're considering that area....

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
You will have to do it all on your own
but that`s after your done your apprentice ship
if you can get one in that is where your heart is go for it
a job is a job others wise your waiting for what

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Choose a job you love and never work a day in your life.
Good thing about being a qualified mech is you can build your own cars without needing to pay someone.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'll add a bit to do with the tax deduction side of things....

Whilst I'm not 100% sure every minute detail, way back 15 ish years ago, I was able to claim the full cost of one of my tool boxes with tools....Value was over $2K...Had the receipt, accountant saw it, signed off on it being a work expense and the tax department reimbursed me the full cost

To this day, I still get a full reimbursement for tools purchased, even though I'm not a qualified mechanic....I do front ends and tyres for a living and have no pieces of paper with a qualification saying so

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Choose a job you love and never work a day in your life.
Good thing about being a qualified mech is you can build your own cars without needing to pay someone.

I tried doing a job I loved but the coppers didn't approve of my garden.... :D

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
I tried doing a job I loved but the coppers didn't approve of my garden....
has any one have to deal with an Electric Car because I have seen so many on the road
likely business people no one else could afford them that`s will be the next trade to fix them

Reactions: Lex

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Heavy diesel will get you into the mines if that's what you want, definitely where the money is for a mechanic, there are a few courses/tickets beginning to appear in regard to electric vehicles too. Starting to see some underground electric jumbo's, LV's and normets roll in over the last few years. Trucks and loaders won't be too far off.
Should mention that i am a heavy diesel mechanic, been fifo on and off for almost 20 years, having the right roster is the most important thing to me.

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline

Someone who used to frequent this forum on a regular basis was a mechanic. He said that the automotive trade was the same to a certain point. What that meant was though he had done his apprenticeship as a motor mechanic if he wanted to branch out into diesel he would only have to do the latter half of that trade.

Working at the mines is good money wise but the social side is not that flash. I did it for about 3 years and if the work hadn't dried up I would have done it for a lot longer. Living in a camp is a mixed bag. Sometimes the food is crap and the accomodation good. Seldom due you get both right. If you think that you can hit the booze when ever you like it forget it. Drug testing was not that often but alcohol testing is every morning. Some learnt the hard way and didn't last long. No tolerance at all on most sites.