Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth becoming a mechanic in 2023?

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Hi all,
I am thinking of beginning a mechanic apprenticeship later this year or early next year.
I already have some mechanical knowledge, and work on my car whenever I get the chance to.

Can anyone who is either a mechanic or understands quite a bit about the industry chime in about the following please?:

Is the wage good enough to be able to live decently in 2023- onwards (think cost of living, etc)? Working as an employee

Are mechanics in Australia paid hourly or flat rate like in the US?

What sort of money would I need to spend to build my tool collection?

Why isn’t the wage higher compared to some other trades, despite being a shortage of mechanics in Australia and especially America?

Cheers

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
My son is now in his second year as a heavy diesel apprentice.

Pay has been low to date....1st year was just under $14 per hour, now I think it is $17 something per hour being 2nd year. Further increases come in 3rd and 4th year However once he is qualified (after 4 years unless signed off earlier) he will command much more.....apparently the average ranges between $100 - $120k pa. Go fifo and increase it again if that lifestyle is your thing.

His TAFE fees are also covered by his RTO assuming he satisfactorily completes each TAFE block.

He does 1.5 hours per week regular overtime and gets paid o/t rates for that. He was doing 1.5 hours per day over time, 5 days per week for the last 3 weeks while someone else was on leave and also got all of that at o/t rates.

From my understanding, the pay hierarchy for qualified techs is light vehicle, heavy commercial then mobile plant in ascending order. My son is doing heavy commercial but I believe it isn't difficult to do the extra to become dual qualified in mobile plant if one chooses.

In his first year he spent around $4k on tools (including roll cab and top box) and is still spending, piecing his collection together bit by bit.

Tools are tax deductible. How they are claimed is dependant on the value i.e. less than $300 instant deduction. More than $300 get depreciated over a prespecified number of years.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Hi all,
I am thinking of beginning a mechanic apprenticeship later this year or early next year.
I already have some mechanical knowledge, and work on my car whenever I get the chance to.

Can anyone who is either a mechanic or understands quite a bit about the industry chime in about the following please?:

Is the wage good enough to be able to live decently in 2023- onwards (think cost of living, etc)? Working as an employee

Are mechanics in Australia paid hourly or flat rate like in the US?

What sort of money would I need to spend to build my tool collection?

Why isn’t the wage higher compared to some other trades, despite being a shortage of mechanics in Australia and especially America?

Cheers
I will give my opinion on a few. I wouldn't think it would be a good choice as a career because of the unknown certainty of the ICE being around in say 20 years. They could possibly be legislated out of existence if the Green party ever got into office.

I imagine a mechanic would spend a good deal of his time servicing cars. I couldn't imagine that would be that exciting especially day in, day out.

Mechanics would be paid an hourly rate. That is they would get holiday pay and stats as well as sick leave.

The reason mechanics wages are low is because they are pretty much non union. The mines would be an exception and that would be because not everyone wants to work there. Again most of their work would be servicing.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
The reason mechanics wages are low is because they are pretty much non union. The mines would be an exception and that would be because not everyone wants to work there. Again most of their work would be servicing.

I agree, and would add that cars are generally seen as an appliance and a means of transport, so a cost-sink and not an investment. So they try to minimise maintenance costs. Housing on the other hand is seem as an investment, so people are more willing to spend money on building (and building trades).

The general wages will vaguely reflect the public perceptions of the ‘worth’ of the respective labour. However, this is not a reflection of the workmanship or skills involved, it’s just one of those disparities in life.

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Any motor trades are the lowest comparative wages. The one way to make money being a mechanic is to do the apprenticeship then set up your own business.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes mechanic wages are low to begin with...Once qualified, they increase....If you are really good, then you can start asking for a much higher rate and if you have a good reputation, you can make that happen...But that takes time to get to that point...

A mate recently got a new job as a workshop controller...He has 25 years under his belt as a qualified mechanic....His wage is $80K per annum in his new role...

I wouldn't take the $100K + yearly wage too seriously at this point....Diesel mechanics in the mines get those wages, but not the general mechanic or even diesel mechanic working out of a surburbian shop...

One thing people generally find, once they start doing mechanical work for a crust, they get bored doing their own cars....

Tools are tax deductable....I'm sure most tool trucks that come around to work places, have a payment plan that can be put in place to help you along....Not sure on the exact details with that.

These are my views based on mates that are qualified mechanics and how they go about it...

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
Hi Anthony It is true Mine Site Mechanics do make the best Bucks
but get sick of cleaning Scrubbers that collect the Burnt oil deposits in the engines of Diesel Engines
I have even done it my self on Sheep and Cattle Ships in Fremantle I was in the Engine on top of one of the Piston
spread my arm and Legs couldn`t touch the bore it was huge but mines run Wartsila V16 and others its very dirty services
long Hours that`s why the money is so good
my be start as a hobby Mechanic try it out for an Apprentice
nothing better to have a Hobby that your enjoy that becomes your job
good luck

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Get into mining. I considered being an auto mechanic when I was in Yr 10, nearly 30 years ago, and it was crap money then however talking to mechanics that owned their own workshops there was good money to be made. That's the long game though.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Housing on the other hand is seem as an investment, so people are more willing to spend money on building (and building trades).
The building trades manipulate that perception too. Whenever they issue you with a quote it’s not itemised as “total cost” it’s newspeaked as “total investment”.

Building tradies get to inflate their quotes to you because they just throw back in your face that it’s in investment when you question the cost.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
The building trades manipulate that perception too. Whenever they issue you with a quote it’s not itemised as “total cost” it’s newspeaked as “total investment”.

Building tradies get to inflate their quotes to you because they just throw back in your face that it’s in investment when you question the cost.

Exactly. They often use a ‘postcode levy’ and an ‘expensive car in the driveway levy’ to mark up a quotations. And they wonder why they get a bad rap.