Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth going from the SIDI 3.6 to SSV 6.0?

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
I know this sounds stupid, but I am struggling a bit with my plan to replace my SV6 3.6 SIDI with a 6.0 SSV in 3 months. I do think the 3.6 SIDI is just a gem of a motor and for our roads, I just cannot stretch its legs enough. I spend a lot of time driving into town on the Nepean Hwy so I get about 14l per 100. I have test driven the 6.0 and its an animal, no question, but I was surprised it didn't appear as powerful as I was expecting, given how much bigger the V8 is (seemed lacking torque of a big V8). Its clear the SIDI is a more advanced engine than the 6.0. Dunno is the 6.0 a step backwards? I know the trim and features are different between the SV6 and the SSV I can rationalise that difference, just that V6 is so sweet. I know the 8 will delight, but will the extra weight in the nose affect handling and the extra fuel be worth it? Maybe suffering detachment anxiety already? :hmmm:

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The V8 is only around 35kg heavier than the V6, so that won't be an issue as the extra torque far outweighs it's extra weight, plus that weight is slightly lower and further back. It's the stronger engine by far and the torque frees up substantially over the first thousand km or so. Trust me... It's a LOT punchier than the sidi. Plus, you can get it tuned, so the sky's the limit. Also, you'll be surprised with the fuel economy... It isn't as bad as you'd think. Go for it!

Remember, there's no law telling you how quickly you can get to the limit... Yet. The extra guts are definitely worth it.

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
I have said this many times before... If you intend to keep the car standard, the 6.0l isn't that inspiring over the 3.6l, however... definately go for it if you intend to modify the car - then the 6.0l grows a new set of legs and becomes what a V8 should.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Nah spend ya bucks on doing some R&D on the SIDI. Be a pioneer, be the first to turbo or supercharge it :)

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Nah spend ya bucks on doing some R&D on the SIDI. Be a pioneer, be the first to turbo or supercharge it :)

Sorry but that's just a waste of time and money nothing beats cubes!
All the money i spent on my S/C V6 and i could have spent half the money on a V8 to get more power.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I know this sounds stupid, but I am struggling a bit with my plan to replace my SV6 3.6 SIDI with a 6.0 SSV in 3 months. I do think the 3.6 SIDI is just a gem of a motor and for our roads, I just cannot stretch its legs enough. I spend a lot of time driving into town on the Nepean Hwy so I get about 14l per 100. I have test driven the 6.0 and its an animal, no question, but I was surprised it didn't appear as powerful as I was expecting, given how much bigger the V8 is (seemed lacking torque of a big V8). Its clear the SIDI is a more advanced engine than the 6.0. Dunno is the 6.0 a step backwards? I know the trim and features are different between the SV6 and the SSV I can rationalise that difference, just that V6 is so sweet. I know the 8 will delight, but will the extra weight in the nose affect handling and the extra fuel be worth it? Maybe suffering detachment anxiety already? :hmmm:

I'm confused. Do you want a car for economy or power? You can't compare the 3.6 SIDI to the 6.0 in performance, and how is the 6.0 a step backwards? Backwards from what?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
All the money i spent on my S/C V6 and i could have spent half the money on a V8 to get more power.

True that but it is not always about the biggest bollox...sometimes it's just about getting the best out of what you have got just because you can and if someone wants to spend on the R&D then yipya for them. Would be good for all the other SIDI owners to see the results one way or another. Oh.....but the extra cubes would also be sweet.

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
I'm confused. Do you want a car for economy or power? You can't compare the 3.6 SIDI to the 6.0 in performance, and how is the 6.0 a step backwards? Backwards from what?

Well the economy / power balance argument is clear I agree. When I said step backwards I meant the whole ownership experience when you drive in Melbourne traffic averaging 30 km/hr (except weekends) the 6.0 could be seen as under utilized given fuel usage. I just seem to spend more time with my foot on the brake than on the loud pedal nowadays and I am wondering if its worth the money I suppose. So cost benefit is the 8 a step forward?. But I take your point it's not about anything other than performance. You only live once and life is short. I am getting the 8.

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon

Thanks for the honesty mate. It's a rough call after you've dropped the cash to look back and be objective about it. Seems the 6.0 needs some mods to free it up but it's simple stuff and relatively cheap compared to turbo charging a v6.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
There's also a very nice 270kw 533Nm from factory six cylinder car on the market that trumps both the SIDI V6 and the AFM V8 and comes in cheaper on the road than all three, SV6, SS and SSV... :) IMO better fit, finish, luxuries, safety, comfort, ride and handling too. And I've had three VEs with three different engines so I'm not talking through lack of personal experience here.