Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth going from the SIDI 3.6 to SSV 6.0?

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
Hrmm we traded our V6 for

1 5.7l ls1 daily and a 6l weekend car am i doing it wrong?

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
I think most people will agree that the economy vs grin factor is a worthwhile trade off. They put a smile in your face even before you get the modifying bug!

Absolutely agree. We may be the last generation of drivers who get to enjoy a V8. Current trends and all the environmental and economic indicators point to a future, from my view, where possibly my son won't ever get chance to drive a V8. Who knows, here and now we can, so I am going for it.

Can you imagine car forums when hybrids and straight electrics are the norm. "What kind of Li-Ion batteries you got? my motor is a 3 phase induction motor, siiiiiicckkk." It'll be very different. Cars have changed a bit since my 1964 EH Holden 179 HP Block with 3 on the tree. Back then I thought the 253 V8 was pure horn. Even the legendary 308 is a bit of a yawn by today's standards....:undead:

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I think the day the combustion engine dies will be the day I start using public transport!

You're absolutely right. There's already talk about going the way of Europe with even stricter emissions controls and the most ridiculous political proposition I've ever heard of in the projected 'carbon tax'.

I cannot take any 'climate change' gimmicks seriously until governments stop harping in about emissions and putting a price on carbon and start focussing on a real solution to the alleged problem - and I'm sorry but that solution CANNOT include the band-aid solution of hybrid cars or garbage fund-raising schemes that only serve to further the burden on regular people.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Nice trade deal...I'd love the V8 just couldn't justify it to the trouble&strife....so will have to settle with SIDI (although I do like driving this too).

tomslick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
I had a similar problem to you at the start of the year as i had never owned an 8 the good fellas on this site convinced me and trust me once you put your foot down there is no comparison so glad i went for the ss.

Privatedonut

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 UTE 6 SPEED MAN
I definitely wouldn't see it as 'settling'. Enjoying it is the most important thing. If you don't enjoy driving, you may as well catch a bus!

Screw catching a bus here in Darwin rather drive a ford laser haha