Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth putting LPG on a VR thats done 240,000k

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
i thought that gas dries up the valve seals.
Thats why it is always best to do some driving on petrol, also to keep your fuel pump, injectors etc. in operating condition. Conversion places will usually say to do 1 trip a week on petrol.

On cars that are wholely converted to gas (no petrol), they will add an upper cylinder lube kit which drips small amounts oil into the inlet manifold. There is special oil for this which costs about $15 per litre, but I have seen some mechanics use Trans fluid or even 2-stroke oil. The oil is only used at about 1 drip every 5 to 10 seconds while the motor is running.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
A. yeah I foudn that out the hard way when mY EA ran out of petrol, I figured with my full tank of gas I didnt need to fill the petrol for a day or so, How wrong I was when it wouldnt start.

B. Yes it does dry the valves out, my OLD XE had hardened valve seats to help prevent this but I never put it on gas anyway, that is why duel fuel cars generally start on petrol, to help keep the valves lubricated or so im told

johnnyk

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF V6 Falcon
The place I took my VR for an LPG conversion [ezygas] (car done done about 400,000km) put flash lube system in (bottle of flash lube, connects to one of the vacuum hoses on the throttle body) to help reduce the wear on the valves.

pando666

milk comes in 2 litres
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec
Why not, cost is about $2700 and you get $2000 back from gov.

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
I just got my VS Wagon done with duel fuel. Runs fine except i had to get new oxy sensors. When i got my head gasket done, i got new hardened valves as most of my driving will be LPG. I would recomend the valves if u are ever getting that area fixed as with mostly gas driving, they will last a lot longer than with normal ones. and for 67c a litre, who gives if u use a bit more. btw tank is 72L usable, conversion was $600 after 2k rebate.

pando666

milk comes in 2 litres
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec
I just got my VS Wagon done with duel fuel. Runs fine except i had to get new oxy sensors. When i got my head gasket done, i got new hardened valves as most of my driving will be LPG. I would recomend the valves if u are ever getting that area fixed as with mostly gas driving, they will last a lot longer than with normal ones. and for 67c a litre, who gives if u use a bit more. btw tank is 72L usable, conversion was $600 after 2k rebate.

How many K's do you get out of a tank (72 litres)?.

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
well my average consumption is around 18-19L/100kms, a little high i know but i cant figure out why. still cheaper chewing the gas then petrol prices atm lol

BT1-355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BT1 & BLOWN STATESMAN
well my average consumption is around 18-19L/100kms, a little high i know but i cant figure out why. still cheaper chewing the gas then petrol prices atm lol

yeah, thats about right. Just remember you use more gas than petrol

PHAT_pudding

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive SII
i'm looking at installing the flashlube dripper on my LPG converted VS. but where the hell is the throttle body vaccum line that i can use? i was just gonna drill and tap a hole in the plenum cover near the throttle, but not sure if there will be vaccum there to suck the fluid in because of the LPG. so really i'd like to know two things:

1. wheres the throttle body vaccum line?
2. is the plenum chamber still in vaccum when in LPG (i think it is)

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
VR's have the buick motor, if they are looked after they last along time if you have done 240 000km now, the motor could easily last 350-400 if treated well. and as someone posted you get a large rebate, isnt a 'power' making device and will also add to resale value, I say its worth it.