Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth putting LPG on a VR thats done 240,000k

b3h3m07h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Acclaim Wagon
Is it worth installing LPG on a VR thats done 240,000k

Hi all, im soon to be getting a VR Station Wagon this week which is all stock except wheels and springs. It a one owner, very clean and well looked after and oh yeh its a station wagon. My question is would it be worth putting it on gas since its done so many k's and could i expect a few things to go wrong with it if i were too? Also since it is a station wagon can u get tanks to put in the spare wheel bay and any idea on how much a gas system for one of those would cost? Cheers

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
It will be worth it if you plan on keeping the wagon for at least 5 years or more.

I also have a VR wagon done 240,000kms and looking at gas conversions too. There is a "donut" shaped tank available that fits in the wheel well. But then you also need a spare wheel holder mounted in the wagon rear side.

Tank looks like this
af0d_12.JPG

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The main things I can see going wrong after a gas conversion would be valves, but if they are ripping the engine to pieces to fit the gas system in, why not have them replaced, although im not a mechanic, there are some pretty smart people here though, so maybe they can confirm or dismiss this.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
I wouldnt on a car that has done so many kms... but heaps of people seem to think its ok, so I dunno... Personally I wouldnt though

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
The main things I can see going wrong after a gas conversion would be valves, but if they are ripping the engine to pieces to fit the gas system in, why not have them replaced, although im not a mechanic, there are some pretty smart people here though, so maybe they can confirm or dismiss this.
The engine does not get any work done to it to install gas. There is a gas ring put in the air duct and that is as close as they get to the motor.

Gas runs a lot cleaner than petrol, so the carbon build-up would be reduced.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
oh, I always thought they did, thankyou for setting that straight, so they just mount the gas converter in there, then hook that straight onto the fuel intake, which would be the fuel rails on an injected car like the VR/VS models, of course im leaving out the solenoid to switch from petrol/gas on duel fuel vehicles and the connections to the radiator.

Seriously though, I always thought on injected vehicles the fuel intake had to be changed.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
I always thought on injected vehicles the fuel intake had to be changed.
They just add a gas mixer to the intake tube somewhere between the filter box and the throttle body.

Gas mixer looks like this
1293_1_b.JPG

Direct injection gas would be good, but is very expensive.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hey sweet, thanks for looking that up.

You know since I found these forums, ive discovered a wealth of knowledge.

So the gas goes straight down the inlet manifold instead?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
So the gas goes straight down the inlet manifold instead?
From the Gas/Air mixer, through the throttle body, through the inlet manifold, past the valves, into the cylinder.

I found a pic of the basic setup
car.jpg

1. Air and gas mixer
2. Liquid-to-gas converter
3. Filter and safety fuel lock
4. Service line
5. Tank
6. Valve Box
7. Shut off (service) valve
8. Fill point

On fuel injected cars, the is also a gas computer installed to interface with the cars computer. When the car is started, it is always on petrol for a few seconds before switching to gas.