Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is my car a write-off?

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
Had a little accident last week (not my fault) which has left my car a little bit beaten up and I'm wondering if I should expect it to be a write off or not.

It's a standard 95 VS Exec v6, no mods other than gas, it runs dual fuel.
I have it insured for $4500.

Damages are;
*broken front bumper
*left front quarter panel
*left passenger door
*left front wheel is sitting crooked, looks like its on a very bad camber
*front wheels are way out of allignment and steering pulls to the right
*windscreen somehow cracked, right where the rear vision mirror is mounted, no idea how this happened. Maybe it was already cracked where I couldn't see it and this collission made it worse?
*something has happened to the heater/AC vents, only the foot well vents work now and it is stuck on that setting, changing the selector knob does nothing.

The collission was on the left front corner of the car. Someone came out of side street in front of me, but the collission was light as I was slowing down already for a red light. The dent in the left passenger door leads me to believe there may be damage to the chassis, as the door was not hit in the collission.
I'm hoping it is considered a write-off so it can paid out and I can get a new car. I was looking at buying a new car mid next year anyway, now I hopefully have a perfect reason to do it a bit earlier.

If you want photos I can get some, maybe tomorrow.

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
ur air con condensor is stoping the air con from working, long as your chassis rails are straight is should be ok , how bent is the rad support ? if window is cracked id say its prob twisted the frame

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Without seeing any photos its probably a bit difficult to tell, however from your description it sounds as though the car will be written off. Assuming a value of $4500, it will be written off if the repairs come to more than 70% of that figure, or if there is significant damage, ie to the chassis rails. It doesn't take much to cause several thousand dollars damage, especially on cars such as the VS, as they are getting on a bit now.

Regarding your air con vents not working, thats because the vacuum ball is broken, it sits behind the left front bumper, in front of the left wheel.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
need pix........................................

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Don't like your chances of it being repaired.

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
hes hoping for the same thing ... so he can pay out loan lol

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
I'll post pics tomorrow... the damage doesn't look horrible but I'm hoping it's bad enough to be a total loss.

hes hoping for the same thing ... so he can pay out loan lol

Loan? This car was given to me, it has been in the family for a long time. It definitely has no money owing to it.
I'm hoping it's a write-off so I get the $4500 for it and can put that towards a new car. There's no way I would have been able to sell it for that much.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
I'll post pics tomorrow... the damage doesn't look horrible but I'm hoping it's bad enough to be a total loss.

Loan? This car was given to me, it has been in the family for a long time. It definitely has no money owing to it.
I'm hoping it's a write-off so I get the $4500 for it and can put that towards a new car. There's no way I would have been able to sell it for that much.

Get in a real ****ed off mood then find the biggest sledge hammer and have some fun lol then it'll be a write off :p
Or is that some type of fraud?

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
sounds bad enough to me