Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is my car a write-off?

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
that is definitely a write off mate, serious boys take a close look. if they didn't write that off i would be very surprised. there could be close to a grands work just underneath the car.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
cars done...looks like the wheel took most of the impact judging by the position of the dent in the guard. In which case your frame is almost definetly bent.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
If that little what looks like a bend to me on my screen in the frame running along the side of your windscreen then yea it's a write off. If not based on that then yea, based on figures (like the other guys have said) it will most likely be a write off.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
Easily repaired but your insurance company will most likely class it as a write off, the wheel bent would be 500 in parts from a wreckers (i know as ive fixed problems likethis before) and the panel damage shown does not indicate a bent rail at all.

As a home repair job it may be worth it but you would need to get the rail mesaured up, by the look of those pics it doesnt seem like it would have bent

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
Pretty sure the rail isn't bent, but I'm no expert.

I took it to two repairers today after work, neither could give me a quote or a definite opinion on whether it is a write off or not.
The first said he wouldn't give me a quote because it's going through RACV and he's not a recommended reparier for them, and he also said from past experience they are pricks to do work for. I asked his opinion though and he said it's possible that it's a write off. He estimated ~$100 each for second hand bar, guard and door, ~$600 for paint work, and the labour for that would bring it close to $1500. Then there's the damage to wheel/suspension, so it would depend on exactly what has happened there.

The second guy looked at it and thought it wouldn't be a write off just by looking at it, but couldn't tell me for sure without putting up on a hoist and having a proper look at it.

So I guess I'm just going to have to wait till I have it assessed by RACV's repairer to see what's going to happen. It is booked in for Monday.

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
well if its not a write off i will have to, in the words of ian dikko dickson "eat **** for the first time, that being my words", i was dead sure that would be a write off

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
well if its not a write off i will have to, in the words of ian dikko dickson "eat **** for the first time, that being my words", i was dead sure that would be a write off

Well it still might be.. and I'm hoping it is. I'll definitely post back here with the verdict as soon as I know.

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
get peice of timber and put pressure on all the panels and start bending ****,lol just dont leave any evidence, should see you cross that write off mark

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
get peice of timber and put pressure on all the panels and start bending ****,lol just dont leave any evidence, should see you cross that write off mark

LoL trust me I've thought about it!

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
just make sure you put the pressure on the right places so you don't leave obvious marks but get the damage done.