Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is SUMMERNATS Slowly Dying - Whats Your Opinion

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I went to summernats 3 those were very wild days , I remember a near riot on northbourne ave ,cops & police dogs everywhere ,it all started when the channel ten news crew went to stir **** so they could get their hoon story ,
Everyone started pelting them with what ever they could find, most of the crowd already had a gutful of the police harassing them by that time defecting everything they could pull over and totaling ignoring any rust bucket that happened to drive past without an entrant sticker on the windscreen
After that year the cruise on northbourne ave was cancelled ,and went I to number 5 it was dead compared to number 3 ,and from what people have told me summernats have never got the numbers it had in those days ,before the security crackdown on bad behavour ,but it was for the best as there was a lot of pressure from the goverment to cancel it for good

By the way I was a witness to Number3 not a participant

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The attitude of punters has sadly changed over the years. The event has gone from a car show to a piss-fest. It's pathetic to think that this is Australias premier car festival and too many car owners are too scared to take their cars there because of drunken dick heads.

I seriously hope the new owners revamp the whole show - they need to cut off the booze and get rid of the dick heads and filter the entrants more thoroughly.

So in answer to the question, yes, it's slowly dying for the car enthusiast but is only getting better for the bogan, female disrespecting piss head.

He tried to market the last one as a family event. If I had kids, I wouldn't be taking them there, step outside one of the pavillions and there's drunks everywhere. I went to the last one with a few mates, and a couple of them bought their girlfriends. Take a walk down to the track and there's a mob of dero's shouting at them to bring out their tits.

One Summernats I went to had some guy that had slammed and pimped out VT SS, and it had the number plates "4JESUS". He was driving around the promenade, not doing anything, and some Lebanese guy took offence to it and tried to pull him out of the car and threatened to beat the crap out of him. The guy wasn't handing out Bibles or throwing leaflets at people, he was just driving around the promenade. How can this be a family event?

Then there's the fact that Chic won't take any help offered by the Police.

Honestly, I don't care if it dies. If it means that it can be revived into something better, then what's the loss?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
vsl67: I was also there on Northbourne, I think it was 1994? I could be wrong. That was just insane.. so many drunken idiots out of control.

_R_J_K_: "Honestly, I don't care if it dies. If it means that it can be revived into something better, then what's the loss?"

I totally agree! I couldn't have said it better myself.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I though it was about 1990 ,so long ago I not even sure anymore
It was the year when that drunk idiot fell asleep on the driveway of the servo on northbourne av & a 55 chevy ran over him wedging his face under the its sump

If anyone says the nats are bad now they are wrong compared to back then

digger747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Last year was the first time in 13 consecutive Nats I didn't go. I've pretty much seen everything there and have worked there (for free) quite a number of times on the burnout track. The attitude of punters has sadly changed over the years. The event has gone from a car show to a piss-fest. It's pathetic to think that this is Australias premier car festival and too many car owners are too scared to take their cars there because of drunken dick heads..

dont you mean its gone the other way me and y dad were talkin about it the other day saying it used to be the best few years ago, people would just do burnouts and crap on the cruise track and didnt get in trouble and i reakin it was worse for people drinking back than but its pretty much come a family event these days the security is to tow on the cars for what they do...........................

but thats what i think anyway but everyone has there own opinion

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
went to the one just gone, havent been before so its hard to tell but had an absolute blast! i would go again. if you look for trouble you will find it but if your after a good time it was definately there too. wouldnt be too fussed if it stays or goes, still pondering if i should come back for the next one...

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
some guy that had slammed and pimped out VT SS, and it had the number plates "4JESUS". He was driving around the promenade, not doing anything, and some Lebanese guy took offence to it and tried to pull him out of the car and threatened to beat the crap out of him.

umm the 4JESUS plates were on a vy or vz purple ute on bags and an unfinished stereo display in the back...

and it was drivin by an ethnic looking man...

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I haven't gone for 4 years now, but went for 3 years in a row before that. First two were okay, they were mad. The last one I went to, wasn't the same. Not sure what had changed, cars driving around the place couldn't have any fun and that. Yeah I decided to not to go to any more after that.
I am not suprised that the show is dying, the crowds have got out of control.
It's a shame. All starts well, ends well.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
umm the 4JESUS plates were on a vy or vz purple ute on bags and an unfinished stereo display in the back...

and it was drivin by an ethnic looking man...

Yeah, something like that, it was absolutely slammed. It had the tailgate down, and I can remember it had some arcade joysticks in the back of the tray or the tailgate. The driver was "of middle-eastern appearance" (not to sound stereotypical :p). But, yeah, I just remember he came driving around, and some other guy "of middle-eastern appearance" tried to tear him out.