Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is the sway bar under tension?

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I've been getting a clunking noise in the front near side over bumps at low speeds. It's quite hilly where I live and is near constant.

Apparently the D bushes are an easy replacement to try fix the noise. I have very few tools on me and am wondering if I need to jack the car up or if I can just swap it out through the bonnet? I don't have jack stands.
I also don't have a torque wrench on me. Is that an issue?
Help massively appreciated :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The "D" bushes are replaced from underneath the car....A torque wrench isn't needed

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Apparently you can swap the D bushes on a VE from leaning into the engine bay. I'm yet to do mine, I too have a knock.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Personally I don't see replacing D bushes as the answer to my knock and probably not yours. I've replaced them on other Commodores when I was told by the mechanic this was the issue of my knock, and the noise still remained after they were done.

Start by looking at the sway bar links. Easy way to test them for the untrained is pull the left one out and see if the ball joints are loose. Mind you I was also told this was the cause of my knock, yet replacing them I still have a knock, go figure....

Conzo97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Personally I don't see replacing D bushes as the answer to my knock and probably not yours. I've replaced them on other Commodores when I was told by the mechanic this was the issue of my knock, and the noise still remained after they were done.

Start by looking at the sway bar links. Easy way to test them for the untrained is pull the left one out and see if the ball joints are loose. Mind you I was also told this was the cause of my knock, yet replacing them I still have a knock, go figure....
Sway bar links seem to be fine.
I was sceptical of the d bushings too, but other users on here seem to have solved super similar knocking noises with the d bushings. Since they're so cheap, I feel it's silly not to try it

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well that's true. I will give them ago myself because it's easy and cheap. How have you tested your links to know they are ok?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Sway bar links seem to be fine.
I was sceptical of the d bushings too, but other users on here seem to have solved super similar knocking noises with the d bushings. Since they're so cheap, I feel it's silly not to try it
Unbolt your swaybar link at either the top near the strut or bottom on the sway bar . That way you can check the the ball joints on the ends . Had to replace mine , they felt pretty good until I unbolted them and the ball joint was pretty sloppy. Only takes a couple of minutes to remove and replace them .

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
most wear is the outer rubber sway bar to strut mounting/ball joints and they will make a knocking/rattling sound when cornering if warn or loose, the middle D bushes only see slight movement so dont wear as fast, most of the sway bar is under some pressure even just sitting so wriggling it by hand may not feel like any issues