Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is the sway bar under tension?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cheers mate - I'll look them up! By the way, did you get your knock sorted?
No, still have the knock.
No you don’t. I changed my sway bar links out without jacking the car up, just turn the steering full lock and you can get at them.
Hmmm, I'd have to check if this is possible on mine as I am pretty low. I took the wheels off as I don't think I could get to them when I did mine.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hmmm, I'd have to check if this is possible on mine as I am pretty low. I took the wheels off as I don't think I could get to them when I did mine.
You have a hoist so easy peasy to lift the car to hip height which makes it real simple to then remove the wheels, check the brakes, check the sway bar links and then check any other bits before lifting it higher to check the sway bar d link buses.

Why would you still want to be bending over and doing stuff on the floor :p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I did mine before I had the hoist.

It turns out I could change mine by turning the wheels but its pretty hard to see what your doing, and once your arm is in there you can't see what your doing, you would have to go by feel.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I did mine before I had the hoist.

It turns out I could change mine by turning the wheels but its pretty hard to see what your doing, and once your arm is in there you can't see what your doing, you would have to go by feel.
I managed ok doing mine. You can’t see what your doing when you’ve got two arms in there to do up the bolts but seeing as they are pretty simple to do up it’s not that much of an impost. I reckon I saved more time by not having to jack the car up and take the wheels off than what I lost by doing up the bolts by braille.

Edit: The one proviso I’d have for that is you need to have a ratcheting spanner set. If your having the take the spanner off and on all the time then it would be a lot easier to just jack the car up.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Edit: The one proviso I’d have for that is you need to have a hoist ratcheting spanner set. If you’re having the take the spanner off and on all the time then it would be a lot easier to just jack the car up.
FTFY :p:p:p

(If I had the space, I’d love to install a hoist like Losh’s, and I’d find excuses to use it :cool:)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

(If I had the space, I’d love to install a hoist like Losh’s, and I’d find excuses to use it :cool:)
Believe me the fun soon wears off. Lying on the ground lining up the pads, while stop-starting the hoist until they are in position takes out some of the fun aspect.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Believe me the fun soon wears off. Lying on the ground lining up the pads, while stop-starting the hoist until they are in position takes out some of the fun aspect.
Still, I’d like that first world problem :p:p:p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Still, I’d like that first world problem :p:p:p
What I sometimes do is stick one pad under a corner if I'm doing a quick check like the wheel bearing check and just jack up the corner until the wheel is just off the ground.

Flame suit on...... :oops:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

If only I had enough money for a hoist and a sturdy enough slab to bolt it to.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Personally I don't see replacing D bushes as the answer to my knock and probably not yours. I've replaced them on other Commodores when I was told by the mechanic this was the issue of my knock, and the noise still remained after they were done.

Start by looking at the sway bar links. Easy way to test them for the untrained is pull the left one out and see if the ball joints are loose. Mind you I was also told this was the cause of my knock, yet replacing them I still have a knock, go figure....

I have replace 2 sets on mine over the years,
The link ends seem to fail all the time,
And the nuts need to be very tight, as I have found they tend to come lose.