Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is there a way I can connect a music playing device?

Canolie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6
Hey all, I'm not a car savvy person, so figured I'd better reach out before I go nuts trying to figure it out on my own. I have a 2005 Sv6, and am wondering if there is any way to play music from my phone. My console has the 6 disc model with radio, but no aux port as far as I can tell. The center console has the only charging port I know of. I'm not sure whether the car has bluetooth capabilities, or if the charging port can accommodate a bluetooth receiver even though it isn't with the rest of the sound system. If not, what are my options?

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
There is a factory aux in under the console. It was designed for mobile phones to make and receive calls. Just buy the factory Bluetooth module, it won’t play in stereo only mono.
You could also rig up a cable to connect your phone physically but again it’ll just be mono.
(If you decide this option yell out and I’ll provide you more info)

The last option would be to find the walkthrough to add an aux in to the factory stereo but unless your are very confident with an iron it would require you to find someone who is, removing stereo is simple and only requires cheap tools available from super cheap or somewhere similar.

Definitely the most expensive option is to change stereo, I’d recommend going Chinese over a name brand unit because of all the functions they add to your car, I’m on my 3rd one now and are absolutely rapt with how good it is out of the box. It’s an Atoto A8 if you wanted to see what it can do. I also bought the birds eye panoramic camera but after a few days changed it to just the fisheye type camera thru the supplied software, it’s crystal clear and definitely HD

Canolie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6
There is a factory aux in under the console. It was designed for mobile phones to make and receive calls. Just buy the factory Bluetooth module, it won’t play in stereo only mono.
You could also rig up a cable to connect your phone physically but again it’ll just be mono.
(If you decide this option yell out and I’ll provide you more info)

The last option would be to find the walkthrough to add an aux in to the factory stereo but unless your are very confident with an iron it would require you to find someone who is, removing stereo is simple and only requires cheap tools available from super cheap or somewhere similar.

Definitely the most expensive option is to change stereo, I’d recommend going Chinese over a name brand unit because of all the functions they add to your car, I’m on my 3rd one now and are absolutely rapt with how good it is out of the box. It’s an Atoto A8 if you wanted to see what it can do. I also bought the birds eye panoramic camera but after a few days changed it to just the fisheye type camera thru the supplied software, it’s crystal clear and definitely HD
Any chance you could give me a slightly better idea of where to look for the factory aux? At least tomorrow I can check that out

I'm pretty handy so should in theory be able to throw something together in terms of adding one into the factory stereo, but Id need to look into that more

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Yep. Pull the cover off the LHS of the console. One screw under passenger seat about half way down the console. And 2 screws inside the glovebox obviously on the RHS. I can provide the pinout if you want to go this route

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Even if it's in the center console? I wouldn't have assumed that charging port connects to the speakers
It plays it through the radio. It was common back in the 90’s/early 2000’s and in this case, relative to the topic.

Plug in device to the power socket. Plug in the audio input.
Tune radio in to the desired frequency.
They work really well.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It plays it through the radio. It was common back in the 90’s/early 2000’s and in this case, relative to the topic.

Plug in device to the power socket. Plug in the audio input.
Tune radio in to the desired frequency.
They work really well.
They also work really well for anyone else in the vicinity who happens to be tuned into your frequency as well!

Been music bombed a few times by other peoples music while I’m listening to the radio in my car!

Top tip. If your using it for hands free phone audio someone else near you could potentially hear everything the other person on the phone call is saying!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If anyone stumbles on this thread, here is the iPod mod.
Wait. Do they still make iPods?
iPhone input mod.