Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this a Disc or Drum large salisbury?

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
vksedandiff.jpg

the end looks the same as that I took it out of a v8 vc, it was a 2.6 ratio or something stupid like that no good for a young city bloke
look at the pic again, the end unpainted tapered tube is longer, different to yours

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
look at the pic again, the end unpainted tapered tube is longer, different to yours

Salisbury Diff, [Very Strong Diffs, almost unbreakable]
Possibly a 2.78 Ratio,
And came out of an V8 Auto
Normally the Ratio was stamped on the front slinger,
or, remove the oil filler plug and you maybe able to see the ratio on the crown wheel,
Otherwise you will need to remove the back cover, and as usual its stamped on the crown wheel.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Possibly a 2.78 Ratio,
And came out of an V8 Auto
Normally the Ratio was stamped on the front slinger,
or, remove the oil filler plug and you maybe able to see the ratio on the crown wheel,
Otherwise you will need to remove the back cover, and as usual its stamped on the crown wheel.
I think you got the wrong person, your reply should be to @the_boozer who I replied to.

I know what a 10 bolt salisbury is and looks like and how to identify it (we have a factory lsd 3.55 one in the vk) by 10 bolts on the crown wheel and not the 10 bolts on the diff cover plus the cover is different to the smaller 8bolt which also has 10 bolts on the cover and yes the ratio is stamped on the front bearing flange. Also the 2.78 was used for the triamatic auto in the 6cyl and 253.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I think you got the wrong person, your reply should be to @the_boozer who I replied to.

I know what a 10 bolt salisbury is and looks like and how to identify it (we have a factory lsd 3.55 one in the vk) by 10 bolts on the crown wheel and not the 10 bolts on the diff cover plus the cover is different to the smaller 8bolt which also has 10 bolts on the cover and yes the ratio is stamped on the front bearing flange. Also the 2.78 was used for the triamatic auto in the 6cyl and 253.

Ok,
Sorry
My mistake.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
vksedandiff.jpg

the end looks the same as that I took it out of a v8 vc, it was a 2.6 ratio or something stupid like that no good for a young city bloke

Do you remember if the unis were 6cyl unis or V8 unis?

I ask as I have a disc braked rear from a 253 powered VH here, 2.6 gears and uses 6cyl unis...The owner sold it to me as he was going 9" in his VH...

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Salisbury lsd's were nothing to write home about I wouldn't say they were strong I broke heaps of them lots of blokes put ford 9 inches in there place as they got sick of braking them. I doubt I've ever driven a car with a working lsd Salisbury all them would single out pretty easy compared to the way a truetrac or locker puts the power down.
cheers I didn't notice the extra weld on the first diff in the pic until it was pointed out.
Do you remember if the unis were 6cyl unis or V8 unis?
that one had a v8 yoke on it,
If a 253 commodore broke a diff while it was still under warranty did GM upgrade the diff to a 10 bolt ?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Salisbury lsd's were nothing to write home about I wouldn't say they were strong I broke heaps of them lots of blokes put ford 9 inches in there place as they got sick of braking them. I doubt I've ever driven a car with a working lsd Salisbury all them would single out pretty easy compared to the way a truetrac or locker puts the power down.
cheers I didn't notice the extra weld on the first diff in the pic until it was pointed out.

everyone cans large Holden Saliburys.. but they were in Brocks A9X that won Bathurst ditto his dayglo VKs (none broke)
and
were used in the racing Grp A VKs and VL until such time as cambered rears were homologated and they did that on 9" diffs
(as its cheaperto do that even though a 9" weighs 40kg more than a Salisbury)