Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this a fair quote??

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
Hey guys,

I've just ran into a major problem with my car. I've only had it nearly four months now and since then i've gradually felt the car getting more sluggish and the idle getting rougher. so I've taken it in to holden to get checked over. When they did the compression test he said that cylinder 6 is running on 75psi where as all the others are at around 150-160psi.

So he's had my car for 2 weeks now to diagnose the problem and i only just got off the phone to him, Here's what he said

- 3 cracked valves (all of which are worn so need replacing)
- a leaking water pump (which was apparently replaced at 100,000km
- A stretched timing chain and guides
- Has to skim the head
- and something to do with replacing the k liner??

All up ............... $6100

I asked him why or how this could of happened. he said he checked the oil and it has some "muggy" **** inside it or something and it hasnt been serviced regularly (ive got a full log book service history btw) which causes poor lubrication to these components and thats where it would have started.

Whats the deal here guys is that a rip off or what??

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Sounds like the car was neglected by the previous owner or the mechanic is bullshitting big time and yes thats alot of money for what needs to be done to it so go to another mechanic not Holden.

04VYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY SS
Sorry to say mate your first mistake was taking it to a Holden dealership... and 2 weeks to diagnose your problem is a bit of a stretch too.

I would go and get a few quotes (from other mechanics of course) and go from there - having "muggy" shite in your oil is not a good start though..

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
sounds like the prostate valve just on the inside of the exhaust pipe hahaha

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Mate to be honest you are going to get rolled at Holden by at least 25% when it comes to pricing for almost anything.

I would take the motor to another workshop.

Or you could pickup a second hand alloytec motor for about 2-2.5k and have that installed, or get a new crate motor.

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
Thanks for the info guys, I knew that sounded a bit steep! I've told him to hold off on doing n e thing till I decide what I wanna do. I'm definitely getting another quote elsewhere. Cant believe a new engine is cheaper than what he wants to charge just to fix it, although by the time u add in labor it'll probly end up the same.

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
A honest mechanic should charge you $800 to fit the motor unless they go by their labour quota which states that it takes x amount of hours so it will cost x amount of dollars.

jezz736

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series Commodore
So for the same price i could get a new engine fitted which is obviously the better option. Although I'm still not keen on spending 6 grand on this car. :S

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
A honest mechanic should charge you $800 to fit the motor unless they go by their labour quota which states that it takes x amount of hours so it will cost x amount of dollars.

an honest mechanic would charge you labour based on the quoted time to do the job. there is no universal price to remove and refit an engine. its based on the time quoted by manufacturer