Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this normal?

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Hi all,

I recently installed a complete FE2 suspension setup from a VE SSV into my VE Calais. Everything seems fine but noticed that when you look at it from behind the car is leaning slightly to the right. It doesn't seem to effect the drive when on the road and the car had a professional wheel alignment, so basically wanted to know if this is normal, or should I be concerned? When driving the car it will hold a straight line no probs, but I did notice the steering wheel is at a slight angle to the right also.

I measured it all and the left side rear is 8mm higher than the right side. Main concern is if it can stuff my tyres up as they are new. It also is pretty noticeable so doesn't look great. Called the guy who installed it all and he basically told me to f-off and what did I expect with second hand goods. The setup had only done 4,000km before I bought them so thinking they should be ok.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
no definitely not normal. did they forget to put a bush back in or something?
Great customer service... not.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
8mm difference isn't much.
Is the vehicle on a perfectly level floor? If one of the front wheels is sitting on a bit of a bump the back of the car would sit slightly lower on diagonally opposite side.

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Thanks guys.

Yeah, made sure care was on a level surface and even checked, and double checked tyre air pressure, so definitely no issues there. Really disappointed to hear it's not normal as I was hoping the second hand set was all good so I could spend my money on other upgrades. If I can't get it sorted I may have to fork out the cash and upgrade the suspension all round :supersad:

I'll try to find someone trust worthy to get a second opinion and hope they don't just feed me some bullshit to fill their pockets.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
8mm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on!! That's nothing!! Get out a ruler everyone and look at 8mm. I would not be worried about this at all. Not even 1cm!!!

Sure the VE was a balanced car, but bloody christ, it's not a damn greek goddess!! Otherwise why didn't they put one battery on each side of the boot?

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
It's almost 1Cm - 1CM doesn't sound like much but it's enough to put the car in an angle.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Was the setup you bought secondhand from a damaged vehicle?
The front stabiliser bar might be out of whack?
Also your car might be twisted slightly. The build tolerances from the factory could account for 8mm difference.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Did the suspension have time to settle into place? How long had it been in your car when you measured it?

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Bit of an update fellas.

Took the car to Pedders (Salisbury SA) for the $28 check. Heard some bad reports about these checks in regards to Pedders bullshitting people and pushing their products, but I must say I was pretty impressed with the service.

I haven't had a chance to re-measure the back end myself yet but visually the back end looks to have leveled out a bit and Pedders confirmed this. The fella I dealt with down there advised me that he couldn't find much wrong with the back end and just said if the problem comes back it would likely be my springs, but said everything seemed ok from his inspection.

He did say he found the front end to be out about 5mm and showed me the top mounts in the engine bay which were raised slightly instead of sitting flush on the car. My knowledge isn't great so not sure what the parts called but he told me eventually the rubbers under the mounts will need replacing, but at this stage it was all fine and wouldn't cause any further issues for the car. Do you guys agree with this?

Overall I was impressed with the service. The bloke I dealt with seemed honest and upfront, and at no time did I feel like he was just trying to get a sale out of me. He offered me a quote for new springs and mounts etc. if I wanted it, but advised me there was no immediate need for it.

When I get a chance I'll measure front and back again, but hopefully I won't have any dramas.