Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this possible or am I dreaming? LCD monitor mounting.

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
I have searched far and wide and am yet to find a picture of a dash mod that I want to do to mount a LCD touch screen ON (not in) the dash of my VZ SV6. I'm sure I'm not the only guy in the world that has thought of this but here goes . . . .

On top of the dash in the centre console (just above the a/c controls and vents) there is a panel that can be removed which I think is a storage compartment in some of the other models. I have seen plenty of mods on the internet where gauges have been mounted in this position (you can actually buy the kits in a lot of places). What I want to do is to custom mount a 7 inch touch screen where this panel is but need to get a custom shroud to go around/over it so it looks like part of the dash. It wouldn't worry me if it was single DIN (for a motorised LCD screen) or double DIN size for a fixed screen (which I would prefer).

Before you ask, the reason I don't want to mount the screen where the existing radio/CD player is (which is quite simple) is that the position is really to low and hard to see from the drivers seat. Where I want to mount it is just below eye level and really easy to reach the touch screen.

I should now mention that the whole purpose of this is to connect the touch screen to a car PC (or carputer as some call them).

Am I insane or is this possible? Has anyone ever seen this done before? Who is good at doing custom jobs like this in the Brisbane area?

Very interested in you responses.

Thanks

Paul

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
It would probably be doable, but it wouldn't be easy, and also, one thing to take note of, is that unless its for satnav or something, it would be illegal to have it running while the car is moving.

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
Hi, thanks for your feedback. I'm not real worried about the "legal" side of things. I was a police officer in Qld for 9yrs (left a few years ago) and spent most of it in the traffic branch. There aren't too many police (outside of the city) that would worry too much about the display, however the main purpose of it is as a satnav as well as a car PC media centre with all my mp3s.

I thought I better post a picture of the type of thing I am after to make it easier to visualise (pic attached).

VZ_mod.jpg

Thanks

Paul

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
definately doable, use a 7" widescreen, and maybe have it recessed a bit into the pocket. im not sure how much space there is inside it though. you want ot mount it as low as possible into that cavity, to keep as much viewable window space as possible. though theres plenty of people who mount handheld satnavs in that spot on the window, so if done right, there shouldnt be any problems, aslong as you're not watching movies on it :p

find a car audio place that does good work with fibreglass, or buy a spare top cover and have a go yourself.

and also,try and mount it tilted top forward a bit, to minimise glare from the sun.

something like that would be good, with the buttons on the side. also, if you havent, check out MP3Car.com - Powered by vBulletin

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Anything is possible with a bit of imagination. I would look at putting it on a hinged lid of some sort in that compartment, or it would be too visible when the car is parked. Just flip it up when you want to use it.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ive got a 8" touchscreen lcd in the dash, no stereo, just the screen. its still there, hasnt been touched. but i also dont live in the city and the car generally doesnt get left in places where its "easy" to steal from it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Having it in the dash is a bit different to it sticking out the top like that. I just think out of sight, out of mind.

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
How hard is it to do fibreglass work. I am pretty handy and enjoy a challenge but have never worked with fibreglass before.

What I would "really" love to do is make a whole new piece of the centre console from the bottom of the current radio/CD right through to the place where I want mount my LCD screen at the top. I reckon it would look great as a one peice with my carputer mounted where the existing radio is.

I have searched mp3car.com and digital-car.co.uk and can't believe that no one else has done a dash mod similar to this. The dash in my Sv6 is the same as the Monaro (which is a Pontiac GTO in the US or Vauxhall in Europe) and the only mods I can find are where guys have pulled out the old radio/cd and mounted a screen.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Fibreglass in itself isn't that hard to work with, it's how much time and effort you put into finishing it off. A lot of patience with molding it and sanding is required to get a really good factory look. Shifting the aircon vents are going to be a challenge.