Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this possible or am I dreaming? LCD monitor mounting.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
it would be a neater finish, but hes installing a carpc, not a stereo headunit

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
Hi Guys,

My mock up photo really doesn't do justice to what I want to achieve. If I don't go with the full centre console replacement (which would look awesome) I would get a custom fibreglass housing made the fitted directly on top of where the compartment is on top of the dash. This housing would be kind of dome shape and the LCD screen would be totally enclosed by the housing so all you would see would be the front of the screen (not the back and all the plugs).

Does this make sense to anyone?

My big concern (other than the design) is whether there will be heat issues due to the fact that it is right on top of the dash in full sunlight all day. ANy thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I thought about mounting an LCD screen there a while back, but decided it was too hard to make it look good. My major concern would be that a 7" screen would be too big to be practical. You'd have to be careful with obstructing the driver's view etc and it would have to be shaded with some sort of hood or well recessed to avoid glare from sunlight.

I don't know how those screens work, but you would definitely need to be able to control the brightness or it would be too dull during the day and way too bright while driving at night, especially since it's mounted so high.

I don't think the temperature would be a big problem, since the sort of thing you're planning to mount is presumably designed to withstand a certain amount of heat. The hood should help with this too.

I would start with a spare console lid and start tacking bits and pieces on. Fiberglassing is pretty simple to do, but making the finished product look factory is more difficult. Just don't expect to get it perfect first time - you will probably need to have a couple goes at it.

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
Well I've started the project today by buying some foam to cut and sand into the shape that I'm after. I am going to then glass over the top of the foam and then cut away any of the foam inside the "pod" that is going to be in the way (this is what the guy at the fibreglass shop suggested).

I was really lucky this morning when I went into the fibreglass shop (found them in the yellowpages) as the old guy that owns it is very helpful and said he loves doing this kind of stuff. He told me to bring back the shaped foam once I've got it right and he will show me how to glass it.

I hope to have prototype 1 finished in the next 2 weeks! Will post some pics when it is done.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Good project. You will have to keep us updated now.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
Looks like a good project, maybe it would get a little warm up on top of the dash like that. Could pose some issues. I have my 7in screen mounted where the factory cd player is and can access it easy as. Watch my Mp3s easy too. Custom Fibreglass piece my mate made up and the factory look on it is almost flawless, just a tad lighter than the surronds.
KEN.jpg

| evaN |

mmm bass
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
im pretty sure the clarion vz demo car had the screen where you want it. I'll post a pic up later tonight if i can find the magazine.

| evaN |

mmm bass
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Not the best pic but i think you'll get the idea

Attachments

• vz clarion.jpg
    vz clarion.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 843

MyPetFly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 & VXII S
Thanks Evan for the photo. I knew my idea couldn't be original as it is such an obvious place to mount a screen. I want to be a little more high tech than the one in the photo and remove the LCD screen from it's plastic case mount it flush inside my "pod".

I started tonight with some foam to start building a prototype. Here's what it looks like after 2hrs of shaping and sanding (this will not be the mould I use for my final product - this is just a rough proto for practise).

foam1.jpg

foam2.jpg

foam3.jpg

foam4.jpg

I will make another couple of foam prototypes over the weekend until I'm happy with the result and then next week I will tackle the fibreglassing.

In case anyone is interested I am going to mount a Lilliput 7" touch screen (model EBY701) in this pod but I only ordered it of ebay yesterday so I don't expect it to arrive for a week or so . . . this might slow me down a little unless I can find the internal screen dimensions on the net somewhere.

I am interested in any feedback or suggested improvements from what you can see in the above photos (other than making sure the screen is well recessed to avoid glare from the sun which I am already aware of).

Regards

Paul

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Wow, looks good. I'm a bit concerned about the height of it. Hope you won't get pulled over for it.

You should make as it little tilted upwards or turn a little towards the driver?