Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is ZB bonza around corners?

Fzs1000n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW Bora 4motion 2.8 VR6 24V
If you are running a Haldex or centre diff Subaru AWD system which tend towards understeer, this would be true. But the ZB has the Twinster system which is truly next gen. You can hold some pretty high mid corner speeds and the car never feels twitchy or unsettled. You can plant the boot just on or even before the apex and it just hooks up and goes without slingshotting you to the outside of the bend. This has as much to do with the bespoke suspension tune and the Michelins as it does the AWD system, but as a package it comes together nicely.

I like the sound of that! I'll still be getting the 4Cyl as a matter of economics only

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
If you are running a Haldex or centre diff Subaru AWD system which tend towards understeer, this would be true. But the ZB has the Twinster system which is truly next gen. You can hold some pretty high mid corner speeds and the car never feels twitchy or unsettled. You can plant the boot just on or even before the apex and it just hooks up and goes without slingshotting you to the outside of the bend. This has as much to do with the bespoke suspension tune and the Michelins as it does the AWD system, but as a package it comes together nicely.

Agree that these cars are the ducks guts when it comes to handling. What sort of Michelin's is your VXR running ?
At some stage soon I want to replace the Continental Sport Contact 5's on my Calais V, done 17,000 km's and starting to get towards the end of their life, (I like to change out at around 3mm tread depth.) I see there are two options for me with the 18 inch RSV wheels and 245/45/R18 tyres I have.
Michelin Pilot sport 4 or pilot sport 4S...the latter are significantly more expensive.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Thanks mate. Pilot sport 4S is the direct replacement for that tyre and has been winning virtually all the independent tyre review tests I have read but the Michelin Pilot sport 4 is also a very good bit of kit.

How are you ones wearing and how many km's have you done now ?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i love how the zb handles, it is far superior to my vf ssv and over all i find it a better vehicle to drive daily.
it is a shame the fan girls hated on it before actually driving one but that is their loss and the vf was nice for its time but the awd zb is not bad at all.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Thanks mate. Pilot sport 4S is the direct replacement for that tyre and has been winning virtually all the independent tyre review tests I have read but the Michelin Pilot sport 4 is also a very good bit of kit.

How are you ones wearing and how many km's have you done now ?

They are wearing a little on the outside, car has 13000km on the clock.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
The car has surprised anyone that goes for a ride with me. Last year I went on a couple thousand mile road trip with a friend who had a manual V6 Camaro 1LE (the most performance oriented V6 trim). While the lighter Camaro was quick off the line and dove around corners just fine, the GS could hold its own.

After one fairly sharp turn, I eased into the throttle and the car just ate it up. At the next pit stop, my friend asked, "how did you get around that corner so fast? I was pulling 0.7 G's and you were still pulling away." The AWD system and torque vectoring are a beautiful thing in these cars. But, as mentioned, it will start to oversteer if you don't commit to a turn or push it too hard.

Right now I am limited by my tires. Unlike the VXR, the GS trim is only equipped with all seasons. I can't wait to throw some Pilot Sports or Eagle F1 tires on and see what it can really do.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
In saying that, the joy my 6 speed LS3 VE Clubsport is giving me just cruising around is on another level. The sound, I even love shoving it into 6th and telling the missus, look at that, she is doing 80km while doing 1200RPM. The purr, I'm so happy with it.
This sums up why I rate driving a Commodore over a suby. Yes subies have awesome traction, but they're geared like toys. Rev rev rev all day long makes me want a set of ear plugs. We had a liberty and driving it was like riding a miniature pony compared to a Commodore feeling like a real horse

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
This sums up why I rate driving a Commodore over a suby. Yes subies have awesome traction, but they're geared like toys. Rev rev rev all day long makes me want a set of ear plugs. We had a liberty and driving it was like riding a miniature pony compared to a Commodore feeling like a real horse

At the risk of slight thread drift, I'll give my appraisal of a 2019 Subaru WRX I test drove.
The good: traction for Africa, comfortable seats, really practical, good all round visibility, it has an excellent suspension tune.
The bad: the chassis feels like its old - probably because it is, there are still flat spots in the engines power delivery - made you wish you could afford the STi instead, by far the worst infotainment of any car I test drove and that includes the Mazda 6 Takami, I've driven several WRXs over the years and this one feels fat and slow by comparison. It was more expensive to insure than the VXR (which ain't cheap by the way).
The ugly: why oh why would Subaru ruin their cars by putting CVTs in them I'll never know - even a torque converter auto would be better. I made a point of asking the dealer if there were any manual WRXs I could test drive, there were none in the country! But then I'd have to put up with rev hang...

I want to reiterate just how well sorted Subaru have got the suspension tune in the WRX, it's so well dialed in for NZ roads it rode better than several of the cars I drove with active damping yet was still just as chuckable around the bends. It really surprised me how good it is. It's just a shame most of the rest of it simply doesn't add up to a decent car.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Right now I am limited by my tires. Unlike the VXR, the GS trim is only equipped with all seasons. I can't wait to throw some Pilot Sports or Eagle F1 tires on and see what it can really do.

Be prepared for even higher mid corner speeds and better traction all round wet or dry, you'll drop that Camaro if he tries to follow you through some twisty back roads.

My advice is to go for the Michelins.