Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

issue with cooling system

Marc088

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 wagon
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2000 wagon commodore. I had an overheating problem on the road last Time. I have added coolent, it was okay on The road but then I noticed that my coolent was leaking under. The cooling system has many composants and I dont know where the leak comes from. I would like to figured out before going to the mechanic. Or to fix it myself if it's something simple.
Also, when the car was overheating on the road, I decided to help the engine with putting maximum cabin heat. It wasnt really heating, or it took a moment before having â bit of heat. Is it happening because their is no coolent In the system? Or is it an other issue with the heater core ?

Sorry for mistakes, english is not my mother language and thanks in advance for your help!

Marc

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The cooling system has many composants and I dont know where the leak comes from.

You will need to localise where it is leaking from. First I'd check if it's coming out of the overflow bottle. If that's the case I'd move onto looking at the thermostat and waterpump and the bleed the system.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Where is the coolant leaking on the ground, driver's side, passengers side, middle, towards the front or the the rear?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
from passenger side! thanks!

In that case it is most likely leaking from the overflow tank. This could be because the overflow bottle is broken or the hose in the bottle has split or the radiator cap needs replacing. It will be low on coolant in the radiator and should be topped up and the system bled after the leaking problem is fixed.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Check the Welch plugs.
I think on the 3.8 there's 3 each side of the engine, located under the exhaust manifold.
I had a small pin hole in one of mine.....bloody annoying.

Marc088

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 wagon
Thanks for your answers guys! I think I have located it.. It is very oily under the hose coming out of the radiator.. It is quite aligned with the radiator cap i guess.. I am also not sure where is located the overflow tank.
The weird thing is that it looks like red oil.. but my coolant is green haha.

Marc088

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 wagon
this is where it looks where it is coming from:

attachment.php

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your answers guys! I think I have located it.. It is very oily under the hose coming out of the radiator.. It is quite aligned with the radiator cap i guess.. I am also not sure where is located the overflow tank.
The weird thing is that it looks like red oil.. but my coolant is green haha.

The hose you speak of goes into the overflow tank, check the hose for cracks and make sure it fits tightly where it connects near the radiator cap. I would try a new radiator cap and see how it goes.

Ok the photo wasn't up when I started my reply, so I was thinking of the thin hose near the radiator cap. Try tightening the hose clamps if it hasn't got the spring type. The red oily stuff is probably a power steering leak. I am a bit lost with orientation of the photo, where did you take it from?

Vt v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6
Sooo..... long thread just for a 19 doller bottom radiator hose replacement and the line above it leaking is the transmission cooler line, make sure connection is tight or not broken, bo more leaks.