Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with VY'S

R

R8CLUBBED

Also look at the lower control arms as they can gap a bit over time and can give off a steering shudder when braking.

Jimcricket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore wagon berlina
Having trouble with vy Berlina wagon slight water leak front near side from the trim near carpet ?

Last edited:

mckackie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY adventra LX8
Dead bird stuck in the front end haha
something dead might just be a factor. or try this......on a nice warm humid day, set vents to fresh. full fan, A/C on, start engine and run with the doors open. while it's running, spray Glen 20 or similar disinfectant spray into the plenim chamber intake(just below the front screen) to the point where you use at least half a large can. after 5 minutes, switch off engine and let it sit. Use the AC as often as possible on fresh after that. check drains are clear and check for dead rodents etc or leaf litter build up.

TravDogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY LS1
Hello All,
I have a VY wagon that I have replaced the ABS module, which has stopped the Fault alarm but now my Digital Speedometer won't come up or any of the other detail like Kms, fuel left in tank or fuel usage and only shows when I am braking?
I have replaced the ABS module 3 time to see if it just a bad one, it has done it with all 3.

any ideas what it could be?

thank you

ZoeJBradbury

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Hi everyone I've had my VY Berlina series 2 for about three years now and just recently I've been having trouble with the coolant system. Today I looked under the car for any leaks and it's leaking coolant down the back of the engine and down the trans but I can't find where exactly it's leaking from, I really can't afford to take the engine out to fix it, is there any way to find the problem and fix it without taking the engine out and half apart

Attachments

• IMG20230822132015.jpg
    IMG20230822132015.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG20230822132020.jpg
    IMG20230822132020.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 76

Okthanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hey guys, I don’t know if anyone else has had this problem but I have a VY executive and some how when it rains the passenger floor gets flooded? I also found some evidence to suggest that there’s water getting in the glove box to. I’ve had a look and my partner who is a mechanic has had a look and we have no idea where it’s coming from. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
I have this problem with my VY executive as well - the passenger floor gets flooded when it rains. Had a look while my partner hosed water over the car and found that it comes in under the door. Sometimes water collects between the seal under the driver side door when it rains as well, that pours out when the door is opened - doesn't seem to come in and flood the floor though like the other side. Probably just because the weather stripping needs replacing

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Water on the floor in the front when it rains.

I went through this in my 04 VY2 Wagon. I believe the front guard water outlets are blocked. However I have never worked out where they are yet. ???

Closing the vent (set to recirculate air) stopped the water getting in.

MHARD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina II V6 VS Berlina V6
My old man bought a VY auto a few weeks ago, and the only problem he has is the shudder in the steering. Any ideas on what it is exactly and how to fix it ourselves?? Thanx!
Normally shudder is from air in the power steering systems which can be caused by very oil fluid, boiling fluid or filling it when it has been very low on fluid or bits of all of the above...... This is a simple fix if parts are not worn and applies to most other cars,trucks,ect, so if you want to try and fix it get a litre or 2 of dex III fluid or Penrite steering fluid and a Mate and remove all the old fluid with a syringe, then remove the return line and put the hose in an empty 2L Coke bottle. Top up reservoir first with new fluid and get your Mate to then start car while you pour new fluid in while car is running, do not let it run dry this will fill system with air. You can tell your Mate to turn off car anytime while doing this, use at least 0.8 litres as system holds 0.7 litres if you do run it dry while filling you need to stop and start again with another litre. It may still shudder after this, just drive it a bit and turn it from lock to lock for new fluid to work in system to help remove old sludge/grit and it should clear. I did this last bit to my BA Ford Ute after flushing it thinking i had stuff up and it cleared shudder on its own..... If it still does Shudder you can try it again after a tank of gas before taking it to a Work Shop as all it will cost you is your time 1hr , $10 to $40 in fluid, and a slab of beer for you and your Mate.....Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi,

You are aware you are replying to a post for 2005? I'm sure the person has either fixed the problem by now or sold it in frustration.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Hi everyone I've had my VY Berlina series 2 for about three years now and just recently I've been having trouble with the coolant system. Today I looked under the car for any leaks and it's leaking coolant down the back of the engine and down the trans but I can't find where exactly it's leaking from, I really can't afford to take the engine out to fix it, is there any way to find the problem and fix it without taking the engine out and half apart
It's probably the blanking plate gasket. I put up with mine leaking for several years till I had to do the gearbox last year. I backed the radiator cap off to the first notch.

This slowed to leak down considerably without any noticeable side effects. Just keep the water topped up.

In my case the water would go out past the gasket and there was never any suction to suck water from the overflow tank/reservoir. Instead air was sucked in past the gasket.

You had to check the radiator water lever every few days, at least once a week in my case.