Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

It's just getting worse...

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
I have been having problems getting my mechanic to fix the issues that are cropping up with the old ute, and everytime it comes back from the workshop something else seems to be wrong with it...

I am happy for anyone on Brisbane Northside to recommend an alternative spanner man to me - but they all seem to be flat out.

Anyway,

Most recently the harmonic balancer needed replacing.
It came home with a new one but I immediately noticed a 15% decrease in fuel economy - can this just be co-incidental or could they have forked up something else while they were rushing through that job?

The motor also has a bit of a "shake" to it when idling in park i.e. when I get out to open a gate I can now feel the engine vibrating when it didn't use to.

Lots of other minor issues - the interior light won't work but the bulb is fine, half the dashboard lights have stopped working and so on - all these things seem to happen when it comes back from the shop - and he still hasn't fixed my bloody clunking front end!

I want to do a basic check/clean/replace of all the ususal sensors to make sure the economy issue isn't one of those but one of my legs is currently in plaster which makes it a bit hard to spend time under the bonnet.

Any suggestions about the above issues are greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
Yep - did that; removed and replaced the engine fuse, took it for a nice drive, and tested getting 12's and nothing else.

The reduction in fuel economy was immediately obvious after its last visit to the mechanic as was the noticable vibration when idling.

Going back and talking to the same mechanic is my least preferred option at this stage - any other ideas?

Cheers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The noticeable vibration when idling sounds ignition related so double check that all spark plug leads are fully pushed home on the coils and plugs. If its still there pop the bonnet at night with engine running and see if there are any high voltage sparking on the coils or leads. One plug misfiring will casue a vibration and a loss of economy.
Best way to find a good mechanic is to ask at a (honest) used car yard - they don't risk getting their cars fixed dodgy to go on their lot.

batty_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY
im on brisbane north side.... this guy has been my families mechanic for YEARS! and he is pretty good.. honest straight to the facts doesnt dodge you about.... name of the joint is Mac's Muffler. He is located in Pickering street (big yellow building cant really miss it) ask for Peter King.

batty_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY
sorry address is 36 Pickering St, Enoggera - (07) 3355 0155

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Re - the electrical - Sounds like a fuse so check them out first. If they check out ok and you still have problems let me know and we can run through some checks.

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
Many thanks for the tip Batty_123, I know Pickering Street pretty well and will definitely look up Peter when we next have enough cash to send the car to the shop.

Kopper69 - which would be the obvious fuses to check for this issue?

We were under the bonnet just the other day to remove the engine fuse for the ecu reset - everything tested o.k. after that - I will go down there now and pull all the others for a squiz.

Hako, thanks for the ongoing suggestions, pushed and jiggled all the cables, no obvious change...I would like to replace all of the plugs and leads but have to wait until we get some cash to do that.
Did the dark viewing, no results I'm afraid.

Big thanks so far guys - I hope we can get this sorted out relatively painlessly.

Cheers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator (back of inlet manifold) and all other hoses for splits etc. Maybe the Idle Air Control valve needs cleaning along with the throttle body (can of throttle body cleaner). Does the motor still shake with aircon on and in Park?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
is it a v6 or v8???
Is the clunking in the front noticable mainly when parking or turning at low speeds full lock?? or is it when you go over bumps?