Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

James' VS SS

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Thought i would start a thread showcasing my latest purchase.

Saw this car on Trademe here in NZ and went and had a look at it after the auction finished (with no bids).

Super surprised at the condition it was in, and even more surprised at the documentation that also came with it. The first owner (who purchased it new in NZ) kept nearly everything that was done on the car. This included the original newspaper clipping of the car advertised at the dealer! It also came with a rattle can of colour matched paint, a replacement Commodore badge for the front guard and a monsoon for the drivers door.

As far as i can see, the only mods done to the car is a new stereo (although the owner kept the factory head unit which i also have now) and a different muffler (Flowmaster Super 44). Other than that she is completely "grandpa spec"

It has a few issues that i have sorted for the warrant of fitness:
Odometer not counting KM's - Replaced cog and all working fine
Headlights not working on lowbeam - replaced headlight switch
Small rust hole in spare wheel well - cut out the cancer and welded in new patch
Drivers door window needed help winding up - door was missing one felt track, replaced from donor door

There are a few other things i want to sort out as funds become available.
Things like the clear coat is pealed in a couple of small patches, and the body kit to be re-attached in a couple of places where the screws have come out.

It also came with another set of 18" tyres and 8 factory VS SS mag wheels that the previous owner had been collecting (buying them off trademe as they came up) so pretty stoked about that.

When I got it home, i pulled all the seats and shampoo'd the carpets and seats, changed engine oil and filter, flushed coolant and replaced.

Just need to change transmission oil and filter, change the diff oil and look at changing the power steering oil.

Photos from the ad: (I will add more once i get some better pics)

620430120.jpg
620430138.jpg
620430311.jpg
620430436.jpg
620430563.jpg
621575877.jpg
621576795.jpg
621577038.jpg
621577049.jpg
621708176.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Very tidy :)

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
love that colour, nice pick up

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Nice pickup there.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with it. Didn't cost the earth either, $5k sealed the deal.

It is crazy the amount of info that came with it. Got the original sale agreement that the guy who brought the car signed. He traded in his 89 Calais for it!

I will try get some better photos on the weekend, but in the meantime i am using every excuse to rip around in it!

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
I actually really love the matte black engine covers and nice to see them on the right way.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
The covers were painted by the last guy, Unfortunately he chose white for the "bananas" which has gotten a bit dirty.

Might look at re-painting it or polishing it back to a nicer colour. I am also going to look at paining the Holden logo red, along with the words on the side covers.

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
Nice didn't notice the white hahah, I'm in the same boat with the lettering on the covers its a pain in the ass, I brushed the logo but its not as nice as I had hoped for.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
I was talking to a mate who works for a graphics design place who suggested using a good quality fine tipped brush and a paint that will dry slowly and "settle" out any brush marks. And also to use a bit of thinners/water (depending on the paint) to wipe up any paint that gets where it shouldn't.

Going to give it a go and see how it works out.