Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

James' VS SS

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
re valve cover letter painting.....crappy youtube video but jump to the 3min point..this method works really well and is easy as

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
That was awesome

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
About to do my engine covers, so looks like I need a syringe. That makes it look so easy

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Ah wicked, never thought about that way of doing it. Will be perfect for the tight spaces in the lettering.

The other idea i was toying with was to use a high heat grade vinyl for the stripes. That way you would get a clean straight line. Just have to colour match it to the paint.

Also, plans for this weekend:
Change diff oil, got some nice new penrite oil last week 80W140 i think which will be nice for the old girl
Change transmission filter and oil. It has an extra trans cooler fitted by Holden which is great since it has a towbar - I can be confident that the trans hasnt been overheated. The oil still has a bit of a red colour, but is dirty still. Here's hoping there are no nasty surprises in the pan!

I am also going to look at the body kit that is on this car. There are a few points where it has come loose so i should be able to re-screw it back on. Does anyone know if the clips for the side skirts are some special type of clip or pretty generic?

Last edited:

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
The side skirts I've removed from these models have all been Sika flexed on with only the front and rear screws you see near the tyre's they're a pain in the ass.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Productive weekend. Managed to get a few things sorted on the beast which was nice.

Changed the transmission oil and filter - unfortunately it looked like the previous owner wasn't so good at keeping it serviced. The oil was still red (so not burnt thankfully) but it was very dark. The little magnet in the pan was covered in a sludge from the particles it pulled from the oil. Safe to say the oil hadn't been changed for a number of years. Thankfully there was no larger bits of metal or anything nasty in there.

Changed the diff oil - Looks like much the same as above. Hadn't been changed in a long time either, it was quite dark (almost green?) when it drained out. Not sure of the colour of what was put in originally, but i filled it up with a nice golden colour Penrite 80w140 oil. No bits in the oil either which was nice to see.

The drivers door was a bit funny, sometimes opening with the outside handle, other times it wouldnt work at all. I pulled the door card off and found the steel rod that pushes down on the door mechanism wasn't seated right (it was outside the metal loop on the mechanism) - My bad on that one, must have not looked carefully enough when i changed the central locking motor out. Popped it back in and it now works properly!

Cleaned and adjusted the Auto Selector - The white dot was not lined up properly in the shifter, looks like whoever installed the radio did a bum job of putting it all back together.

Fitted front, drivers side and rear body kit skirts back on - they had come loose so just re-adjusted the screws and glued the side skirt back on.

I took some pics of the oil to show everyone: (Trans oil on the left, diff on the right)
g1l0ov2m.pzt.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Did you use the synthetic diff oil?
I rung penrite some years back and they advised to return the mineral and get the syn diff oil for lsd models. $90 for 2.5ltr, but better than a ducked diff.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Been awhile since i have done too much to the old girl, apart from washing and polishing the beast. I have done a bit with some of the clearcoat patches that were peeling, so will put an update up about that soon. But in the meantime i tidied up the engine covers a bit. The red on black looks pretty nice. Used a syringe with a needle to get the paint to flow nicely into the lettering and logo, still made a few mistakes, but a lot less than with a brush!

pqhjkzri.ljr.jpg