Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jaycar Response Dissapointment - Ive lost $500!!!

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
hahaha, i dunno.....ive done a few systems like that, still didnt take the subs LPF over 100 though ;)

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
just sounds to me like you're asking too much from them. going into protect when its close to distortion? sounds normal to me, so you dont damage the subs or the amp.

the low pass filter on the response 1000w linkable amp(thats what you have yeh?) is listed as 30 - 250Hz, the latest alpine type x 12"(going on that coz im unsure what one you have apart from that its a type x) is 24Hz-200Hz, so are you trying to drive more than 250hz into the subs? poor things.

I probly am askin too much from them,but for $600 u think they would work properly, its got better since the last swap over they prob go into protect maybe once or twice in a couple hrs on a large note.

i just blame hte filter, my jbl's used to hit em nice, the x wont. its gay.
i fort the prob was my box so i made a ported box all to spec, 40mm mdf blah blah n yeah ots better but still not as good as my jbl's qual wise i recon, the x farkin cranks tho it hurts

One thing they dont get that hot compared to my last amps, jbl n kenny.

I like mine to crank n mirror fall in one nice bass note, these amps wont do it all day or even for a hr, they loose pwr the hotter they get, or just become more unstable.

Once they hit around 45deg thats where mine start to drop out.

Sub heatsink would be sittin on around 55deg

Ray-915

Squid
Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 HSV VZ R8 Clubsport M6/LS2
I've always used name brands in the past like alpine pioneer eclipse sony etc. but then i changed over to jaycar subs and amps as i had heared good things about them and also coz i beleive many big name brands are wel over priced and generally your only paying for a name. I have two 300rms 12" jaycar subs and a 4x100rms @4ohm and 2x 400wrms @2ohm jaycar amps which i have recently replaced coz i got my last car airbourne when landered the sub box mounts broke and when ape all over the amps lol but i havnt had any dramas at all with them in my previous car. Working along with a jaycar capacater eclipse 6.5inch 3-way rears and $1,000 a pop eclipse 3-way splits in front it all sounds mint even when cranked hard. but like some1 before said, no company can be 100% all the time

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Pull your head out!

Hey all, just thought I would tel you about my issues with Response stuff and why I would never touch them again.

A few years back I brought Response 6" speakers. I was told their a good bang for your buck speaker. All I was running was ther standard head deck in a VX.

About 4 months later, one of them played up and it used to spike the radio and shut it off. I replaced it with yet another new Response speaker, but then it happened to another speaker.

So I vowed then never to touch their stuff

But then 12 months ago I was told theve changed, the Kevlar speakers are completely redesigned. Yeh ok, I'll go for that.

whacked them in and no issues really.

So 2 months ago I decided bugger it, I want an all in one amp so I can bolt it up and run the speakers and sub from the one unit.

I forked out $500 for a new Response 5 channel "class D"

Jaycar Electronics

Got it home, installed it - spent absolutely hours. Yeh it works fine. Put the car back together.

Next day in traffic I flick off the ipod and go for the FM. First radio station, my fav, staticy. Ok then, next one, static. 3rd one, static ... 4th one was audible but still full of static.

I also found that when it got "hot" it would have a high pitched squeal. One lunch time the car had been sitting out in the sun on a 30 degree day for 4 hours, got in, started the car and SQUEEEAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

So I had 2 weeks off over Bathurst. disconnected the amp and took it into Jaycar, with the complaint static AM FM reception and squaly noise.

2 weeks later I went in. "oh your the guy who owns the amp. yeh ok technical tell me nothings wrong BUT it overheats. I refuse to hand it back to you until I have tested it because if it overheats I fear your boot might catch alight"

I questioned the term "overheats". "yes, it gets hotter then this amp should under that load. The tech said it was too hot for him too touch but I dont know if that was him being a bit of a wuss or being serious".

Okay I'll leave it for you to test in store.

3 hours later "yeh come and pick it up, we'll talk then"

So he tells me "okay i hooked it up to this sub and ran it for this at this and blah blah blah - no issues". As for the static? Install it into the car and bring it in for me to check.

Okay so i did and sure enough same issue - static and squeal. I took it in, the squeal wasnt present but the static was. He tells me "because you habe a new car (VZ) the sensors and modules play with this amp being class d digital". as for the squeal well if it overheats then you would expect it to sqeaul - so it'd be normal behaviour. Just try to keep it cool then.

I think thats crap but anyway who knows ...

So I put it on ebay listing it for $1 and listed the issue Ive had.

The buyer whose into competition audio buys it, sets it up and then tears me a new a-hole. "it overheats, it has 5 decibel difference left to right, it squeals, the audio isnt clear, and only 2 of the 5 channels work and it wont power on for longer then 20 minutes"

They had a professional audio tech pull it apart and apparantly 6 hours later all he could potentially fault was the power supply. BUT apparantly it got that damn hot it melted the glue inside the box.

So I decided to just pay them the 100 bucks they paid for it. I'd already lost $400 in 2 months, whats another $100. I want to write it off completely. Jaycar dont want it back, they wont exchange it - I'm over it, and I cannot say Response stuff is anything.

So I'm going all Alpine now, never had an issue with that.

To everyone beware of Response stuff. I'm of the belief its still cheap because its exactly that, cheap
I had ALOT of what your saying happen to me! I was running my amps off my factory head deck and when i would Get in the car on a warm day & turn it on...... SQUEEELLLL (sound is a very high pitched through the tweeters) anyway my amps also got hot,(killed my D class amp wich is being repaired) checked all my wireing over again and again looked for bad earths and couldn't find nothin! Anyway Pulled out my stock head unit and replaced it with my clarion (wich had to be repaired due to a faulty power supply in the deck) But after getting it back and hooking it up I have not had a problem since! so my advice is to get rid of you factory deck mate! Besides the fact the sound quality will be leaps and bounds ahead i believe it just might fix your problem!
That is what I call, "looking after your customers!". That is one story that needs to be framed and put into a gallery! :thumbsup:
Damn straight!
I Have to throw a good word in here for fusion, I bought one of there D class amps and first time it died they repaired it free of charge even though it was well out of warranty, and now a second time around (due to the above mentioned fault wich is now fixed) the amp has to be repaired a second time and the lads have said leave it with us and we will see what we can do! Now personally i think that's great service! adding to the fact i like there audio gear i will keep going back to them as they have taken well above average care of me in all areas!!

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
Damn straight!
I Have to throw a good word in here for fusion, I bought one of there D class amps and first time it died they repaired it free of charge even though it was well out of warranty, and now a second time around (due to the above mentioned fault wich is now fixed) the amp has to be repaired a second time and the lads have said leave it with us and we will see what we can do! Now personally i think that's great service! adding to the fact i like there audio gear i will keep going back to them as they have taken well above average care of me in all areas!!

I second that comment! I speak to their head office on a regular bases (not for warranty reasons) and its a pleasure in talking to them.

AutokaT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP HSV UTE 5.0/A4, VT SS 5.7/M6
I probly am askin too much from them,but for $600 u think they would work properly, its got better since the last swap over they prob go into protect maybe once or twice in a couple hrs on a large note.

i just blame hte filter, my jbl's used to hit em nice, the x wont. its gay.
i fort the prob was my box so i made a ported box all to spec, 40mm mdf blah blah n yeah ots better but still not as good as my jbl's qual wise i recon, the x farkin cranks tho it hurts

One thing they dont get that hot compared to my last amps, jbl n kenny.

I like mine to crank n mirror fall in one nice bass note, these amps wont do it all day or even for a hr, they loose pwr the hotter they get, or just become more unstable.

Once they hit around 45deg thats where mine start to drop out.

Sub heatsink would be sittin on around 55deg

Can someone please translate all that for me?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
He's just comparing the Alpine Type X subwoofer he has now to the JBL subwoofers he had before. Also comparing his Response (Jaycar made) amplifiers to the last two amps, JBL and Kenwood.

He's also saying his Response amps are getting hot and loosing the power they put out to the subwoofer.

VTO11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
ah luckily ive read this i was about to get a whole jaycar setup, but now i think ill hold back a bit n wait what other people think and if they have probs...

LeViaTHaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S-Pack
I'm the manager of a Jaycar Store. Let me point out the things that aren't supposed to happen.

2 weeks later I went in. "oh your the guy who owns the amp. yeh ok technical tell me nothings wrong BUT it overheats. I refuse to hand it back to you until I have tested it because if it overheats I fear your boot might catch alight"

Fair call not wanting to burn your car to a crisp, but he should have handed you another amp, OR your money back. It falls under warranty, and all response amps\speakers have 1 year warranty. We replace that at store level, no questions asked, as long as you can prove proof of purchase. (ie. receipt or bank transaction history)

I questioned the term "overheats". "yes, it gets hotter then this amp should under that load. The tech said it was too hot for him too touch but I dont know if that was him being a bit of a wuss or being serious".

The tech ? The only authorised tech we have in Jaycar resides at the Main office in Rydalmere, and works out of our former premises in Silverwater. We don't have in-store tech's. If they claim they have handed it to a tech "same day" you're being had. It's against our employment contract to "fix" items in-store, for legal reasons. Most stores don't have qualified technicians. (Most Tech's wouldn't work for a salesmans wage)

Okay I'll leave it for you to test in store.

At this point, his response should have been "sorry, i'll have to send it away to be tested." A stuff around that can take around 6-8 weeks, but you get it back knowing it's been tested &\or fixed by an authorised technician. If there is cheap, nasty parts in there,(most chinese products are) he will upgrade it so the same fault does not happen again.

3 hours later "yeh come and pick it up, we'll talk then"
So he tells me "okay i hooked it up to this sub and ran it for this at this and blah blah blah - no issues". As for the static? Install it into the car and bring it in for me to check.

Okay so i did and sure enough same issue - static and squeal. I took it in, the squeal wasnt present but the static was. He tells me "because you have a new car (VZ) the sensors and modules play with this amp being class d digital". as for the squeal well if it overheats then you would expect it to squeal - so it'd be normal behaviour. Just try to keep it cool then.
Now i'm not saying i'm a great manager by any means, but if one of my sales staff gave a known faulty amp back to a customer to re-install in their car, i'd give them an immediate third and final warning. This is BS, you've been treated wrong, given wrong advice, and then they palm it off saying they can't do anything about it.

I'd report the store, the salesmans sales code (it's on the receipt) two initials followed by 4 numbers to head office.
attn: area manager of **** store
Let him tear them a new one.

To everyone beware of Response stuff. I'm of the belief its still cheap because its exactly that, cheap

Response is generally a high quality, low priced product. The amp you had problems with won amp of the year in HOT 4's, beating Kenwood and Alpine.
You have had a shocking, unbelievable experience, from unexperienced staff, that in my opinion, should not be working in a Jaycar store. I can't believe what they told you. I would have expected that s**t from a kid behind the counter at Dick Smith Electronics, but not a Jaycar.
I sincerely apologise for your treatment, even though it's not my store. I urge you to write a letter of complaint to Head office, and get the people of this store to pull their heads in.