Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
All sides of politics are controlled by the same corporate interests & lobbyists, but at least some of the time progressives help people who need it instead of those who don't. For example, lifting the dole & raising minimum wages to match inflation. Australian Labor just doubled funding to schools in the Northern Territory, which is something the other side would never have thought of doing. Superannuation on paid parental leave should have been income/means tested, but the backlash would be absolutely ridiculous.
These are small measures, but compared to the 9 years of attacking anyone the Libs didn't see as worthy, it's a move in the right direction.
Why should superannuation paid on maternity leave be means tested?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
All sides of politics are controlled by the same corporate interests & lobbyists, but at least some of the time progressives help people who need it instead of those who don't. For example, lifting the dole & raising minimum wages to match inflation. Australian Labor just doubled funding to schools in the Northern Territory, which is something the other side would never have thought of doing. Superannuation on paid parental leave should have been income/means tested, but the backlash would be absolutely ridiculous.
These are small measures, but compared to the 9 years of attacking anyone the Libs didn't see as worthy, it's a move in the right direction.

Oh yea just lift wages to match inflation, maybe you run for office in Zimbabwe or Argentina.

I've got an idea, we can print money and hand it out to all the poor people, then no one will be poor and everyone can buy a mansion and sit at home doing nothing.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
**** mate, seems like in the last few hours you've become a card carrying Leftie Woke brigade champion. Always knew it was hiding in there somewhere.

marty351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl gemini

Earlier in his mumble, Joe mentioned inflation was 3%- down from 9% a few years ago. It's a miracle how that happened.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
1a594a9ac5029e49eda888b16e671cba1258f310.jpg

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Still stuck in the leftie/righty mantra. If only life was that simple.

It's funny, but NZ has a nuke free policy and fairly much all political parties support that policy. What will we do? We must all be leftie woke people!

I don't think anybody in Aus is agitating for nuclear in NZ. I honestly don't know if it's a good or bad option over there but from what I understand there are a heap of hydro power plants which may go a long way in substitution. Unfortunately Australia's topography severerely limits any so far unfulfilled opportunities there are.

There is one very notable exception that was the Franklin dam in Tasmania that was a massive shitfight in the 70's. Ultimately the Greens won and it never went ahead.

Maybe SMR's might be a good option for NZ down the track, maybe not, I don't know. Seems very closed minded to me to just dismiss it out of hand. I think they could be a good option for Australia and should be explored without delay.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It’s not the money. He has spent much less than most others.
It’s the hypocrisy of ranting in parliament about ‘gas guzzling yank trucks’ while taking private jets.
It’s the hypocrisy of screaming blue murder at logging while spending $250k on printing.

Well the hypocrisy isn’t good but if you ask me it’s bad regardless and the hypocrisy is a small side show of that. Peter Dutton flew over to WA for one single hour to see Gina Minehart for her birthday party, which isn’t ok regardless of if there was any hypocrisy involved.

Whereas a lot of people see the hypocrisy as the be all and end all of the argument I say a valid argument isn’t automatically null and void just because the person espousing it does something that is hypocritical.

Also note that I’m not saying I specifically agree with any arguments put forward, just that banging on about hypocrisy is playing the man and not the ball.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Maybe SMR's might be a good option for NZ down the track, maybe not, I don't know. Seems very closed minded to me to just dismiss it out of hand. I think they could be a good option for Australia and should be explored without delay.

Maybe SMRs are a good option, too bad they don’t actually exist at this point in time. Nuclear is hideously expensive but realistically if we cant store sufficient power with pumped hydro etc then nuclear at the margins might be a viable backup solution for when the sun doesn’t blow and the wind doesn’t shine.

That being said it would require government subsidies or intervention in the energy market, possibly using a payment mechanism for despatchable power that goes from non-firmed renewables to the nuclear power plants.

The market isn’t going to do nuclear purely because of the capex costs and long lead time to build a nuclear power plant. You’re tying up billions in capital for a decade or more before you even generate your first electron.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Maybe SMRs are a good option, too bad they don’t actually exist at this point in time. Nuclear is hideously expensive but realistically if we cant store sufficient power with pumped hydro etc then nuclear at the margins might be a viable backup solution for when the sun doesn’t blow and the wind doesn’t shine.

That being said it would require government subsidies or intervention in the energy market, possibly using a payment mechanism for despatchable power that goes from non-firmed renewables to the nuclear power plants.

The market isn’t going to do nuclear purely because of the capex costs and long lead time to build a nuclear power plant. You’re tying up billions in capital for a decade or more before you even generate your first electron.
If we wait for the time when the sun doesn't blow and the wind doesn't shine then we could be in for a bit of a wait.